She has served 23 years behind bars.
But the European Court of Human Rights has told Spain it must release ETA activist Ines del Rio Prada and pay her damages of 30,000 euros.
She was jailed for over 3000 years, mainly for her role in an attack in 1986 in Madrid which killed 12 young police officers. That term was later converted to 30 years, the maximum life sentence.
The court in Strasbourg says Del Rio’s rights were violated after Spain applied revised rules on remission to her case. Madrid plans to appeal.
- 1‘Tourists go home’ say Spanish locals in backlash to holiday boom
- 2EgyptAir crash: doomed plane’s distress signal ‘picked up by satellites’
- 3Fears grow for missing Japanese boy left in woods as punishment
- 4Belgium facing more strike chaos
- 5More transport chaos in France in standoff over labour reforms
Latest world news
Delays and cancellations as French unions begin indefinite transport strike
Ex-Miss Turkey gets suspended sentence for insulting president
WHO advises two months of safe sex for Zika prevention
Costa Concordia captain has appeal rejected
Police to investigate Cincinnati Zoo gorilla shooting
Wires > News
- 08:25 CET Turkish army kills 14 Islamic State militants near Aleppo
- 07:31 CET Japan PM’s move to delay sales tax rise will fan debt concerns
- 07:24 CET Thailand jails country singer for seven years in royal insult case
- 07:18 CET Peru’s Kuczynski backs out of plans to join anti-Fujimori rally
- 07:11 CET North Korea’s missile and nuclear projects unacceptable, Japan…
- 07:08 CET Falluja children face extreme violence, UNICEF says
- 07:02 CET Trepidation lingers as Canada wildfire evacuees begin to return
- 06:25 CET Exclusive: U.S.-backed Syria forces launch offensive for Manbij…