French sex workers demonstrated in Paris on Saturday after a government minister said she wanted to see prostitution “disappear”.
As a first step, Womens’ Rights Minister, Najat Vallaud-Belkacem wants to penalise clients. But prostitutes say such a move would place them in greater danger.
Current law in France seeks to protect sex workers while discouraging prostitution in general.
Morgane Merteiul, secretary-general of the sex workers’ union, says the minister needs to do some homework to understand the reality of prostitution.
“There isn’t one kind of prostitution,” she said. “There are different ways of exercising this activity. And every situation merits a response that is adapted to it. The fight against forced labour is not incompatible with the idea of giving rights to a person who exercises this activity with consent.”
Ending prostitution was in Francois Hollande’s presidential manifesto. However, 54 per cent of French disagree with the idea.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Divers grapple with inhuman conditions as Sewol ferry salvage continues
- 2MH370: bad weather halts search as ‘unidentified material’ found on Australian coast
- 3War of words grows more heated as Russia accuses the US of ‘running the show’ in Ukraine
- 4Exhumations at suspected Serbia mass grave begin
- 5Transnistria territorially tempting to Russia
- 1TV newscaster keeps calm as quake hits Mexico
- 2South Korea: Dramatic amateur footage emerges of final moments before stricken ferry capsizes
- 3Scientists find new Earth-sized planet that could host life
- 4Divers grapple with inhuman conditions as Sewol ferry salvage continues
- 5Dragon docks at International Space Station
Wires > News
- 11:45 CET Libya faces enormous security challenge – U.S. diplomat
- 11:16 CET Obama reaffirms commitment to Japan on tour of Asia allies
- 10:56 CET U.N. Security Council members considering South Sudan sanctions
- 09:26 CET Three foreigners killed in attack in Afghan hospital – security…
- 09:25 CET Wage talks resume as South Africa platinum strike marks 13th week
- 08:36 CET Historic canonisation of two popes brings joy and controversy
- 07:48 CET Exclusive – Marubeni says Chinese authorities detain three staff…
- 07:03 CET Pakistan fighter jets target militant hideouts near Afghan border