French sex workers demonstrated in Paris on Saturday after a government minister said she wanted to see prostitution “disappear”.
As a first step, Womens’ Rights Minister, Najat Vallaud-Belkacem wants to penalise clients. But prostitutes say such a move would place them in greater danger.
Current law in France seeks to protect sex workers while discouraging prostitution in general.
Morgane Merteiul, secretary-general of the sex workers’ union, says the minister needs to do some homework to understand the reality of prostitution.
“There isn’t one kind of prostitution,” she said. “There are different ways of exercising this activity. And every situation merits a response that is adapted to it. The fight against forced labour is not incompatible with the idea of giving rights to a person who exercises this activity with consent.”
Ending prostitution was in Francois Hollande’s presidential manifesto. However, 54 per cent of French disagree with the idea.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 247 dead and 11 injured in TransAsia Airways crash landing
- 3Fighter jets ‘shot down’ over Ukraine
- 4TransAsia Airways plane crashes on landing in Taiwan, killing dozens
- 5Ukraine suspects one of its jets was shot down by another aircraft
- 1Moscow claims Ukrainian jet flew close to Malaysian airliner
- 2MH17 flight recorders are handed over by Ukrainian rebels
- 3Demonstrations in Israeli cities over Gaza conflict
- 4EU foreign ministers expected to discuss further sanctions on Russia
- 5Israeli air strikes continue as death toll in Gaza conflict escalates
- 1298 killed as Malaysia Airlines passenger jet shot down over Ukraine
- 2[LIVE UPDATE] Malaysia Airlines MH17: Dutch forensic team arrives at crash site
- 3Researchers reach mysterious giant crater in Siberia
- 447 dead and 11 injured in TransAsia Airways crash landing
- 5Ukraine: Black boxes recovered from downed Malaysian airliner
Wires > News
- 04:55 CET Kerry pushes for Gaza truce as death toll tops 700
- 04:36 CET Leaders of Taiwan, China offer condolences for 48 dead in plane…
- 02:57 CET Venezuela’s world-famous ‘vertical slum’ may be demolished
- 23:23 CET Suicide bombs in Nigeria’s Kaduna kill 82, ex-leader Buhari…
- 23:21 CET India bids to reassert influence in Nepal with power pact
- 21:26 CET Chinese president ends regional tour in cradle of Cuban Revolution
- 19:28 CET Bulgaria’s prime minister resigns with bank crisis unresolved
- 18:12 CET Lebanese soldier defects to al Qaeda in Syria – video