Traditional bandages for protecting and healing wounds may soon be a thing of the past thanks to
a team of scientists in Wroclaw University, Poland. They claim they have genetically modified a ‘flax’ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flax to produce linen bandages that dramatically improve healing.
The team says it has boosted antioxidant compounds in the plants to improve regrowth of skin cells, which can proliferate in the cavity of a wound. Doctors tested the system on 60 patients: 80% of them saw some sort of improvement, while 20% of those healed completely.
“Flax has great possibilities. But traditional flax doesn’t have that effect. It has to be innovative, created by biotechnological methods, with a specific aim, modified to result in a proper product,” said Genetic Biochemist Dr. Jan Szopa-Skorski.
For the moment, this treatment has only been approved in Poland for use on the skin, but researchers at the biochemistry laboratory at Wroclaw University have started to investigate whether it has other uses.
“It’s an innovative product on a world scale, although it’s not the only one. At the moment we have begun research on several products based on this plant: an anti-infection oil that could be used in arteriosclerosis treatment and a product for cancer treatment,” said Szopa-Skorski.
Furthermore scientists are confident that GM flax could create a whole new industrial sector producing profits for farmers and manufacturers.
- 1El Niño is causing havoc in Central America, Asia and Africa
- 2Water-powered motorbike brainchild of Brazilian civil servant
- 3Fit for football: kicking unhealthy lifestyles into touch
- 4ESA’s Sentinel-3 full speed ahead for lift-off
- 5The Astronaut Academy: “This thin blue line makes our planet livable.”
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International news | euronews, latest international news
- 3Partnering to grow Europe
- 4Madrid to appeal Catalan road to independence from Spain
- 5Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 6Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 7Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 8Moldova: protesters storm Parliament
- 9Merroussis clinches the 33rd Athens Authentic Marathon
- 10Norway sends Syrian refugees back to Russia
- 11‘National’ funeral for Celine Dion’s husband ‘over the top’
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13Jorge Lorenzo clinches his third MotoGP title in Valencia
- 14latest Learning World - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 15Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 16Benzema questioned in French sex tape case
- 17world Weather | euronews: world ten day weather forecast
- 182015 | archives : euronews
- 19French language revolution in France
- 20Brussels remains on high alert: ‘multiple operations underway’ across Belgium