Spain have been celebrating an historic win at the Euro 2012 football championships after hammering Italy in the final by the biggest scoreline in the tournament’s history.
Four times the Spaniards put the ball in the Italians’ net without conceding a single goal.
And Spain have good reason to party. The 2010 world champions have regained the title they won in 2008, making them the first side to win back-to-back European championships with a World Cup in between.
The firework display over the stadium in Kiev marked an end to a championship that was marred to some degree by boycotts linked to Ukrainian politics.
There was little thought of politics in Italy though, where fans had hoped their gladiators would win for the first time since 1968 when they beat Yugoslavia 2-0.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Divers grapple with inhuman conditions as Sewol ferry salvage continues
- 2Ukrainian army storms illegal checkpoints killing at least five
- 3MH370: bad weather halts search as ‘unidentified material’ found on Australian coast
- 4Turkish prime minister talks of ‘shared pain’ in statement on Armenian killings
- 5War of words grows more heated as Russia accuses the US of ‘running the show’ in Ukraine
- 1TV newscaster keeps calm as quake hits Mexico
- 2South Korea: Dramatic amateur footage emerges of final moments before stricken ferry capsizes
- 3Scientists find new Earth-sized planet that could host life
- 4Divers grapple with inhuman conditions as Sewol ferry salvage continues
- 5Dragon docks at International Space Station
Wires > News
- 19:58 CET Israel suspends peace talks after Palestinian unity bid
- 19:48 CET Costa Rican ‘miracle’ woman was key to John Paul’s sainthood
- 19:23 CET Three Americans killed in Kabul hospital attack
- 19:12 CET At least six killed as poll violence hits restive Indian regions
- 18:40 CET Netanyahu: Israel will never negotiate with Hamas-backed government
- 18:38 CET South Sudan to free prisoners as pressure mounts for peace deal
- 17:49 CET Egypt’s army says has ‘complete control’ over Sinai Peninsula
- 17:48 CET Israel suspends peace talks with Palestinians – Israeli official