Spain have been celebrating an historic win at the Euro 2012 football championships after hammering Italy in the final by the biggest scoreline in the tournament’s history.
Four times the Spaniards put the ball in the Italians’ net without conceding a single goal.
And Spain have good reason to party. The 2010 world champions have regained the title they won in 2008, making them the first side to win back-to-back European championships with a World Cup in between.
The firework display over the stadium in Kiev marked an end to a championship that was marred to some degree by boycotts linked to Ukrainian politics.
There was little thought of politics in Italy though, where fans had hoped their gladiators would win for the first time since 1968 when they beat Yugoslavia 2-0.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Israeli attacks on Gaza intensify as both sides discuss potential truce
- 2#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 3EU to impose economic sanctions on Russia
- 4Scientists baffled by two new holes discovered in Siberia
- 5Precious power lost as Israeli strike takes out Gaza’s only energy plant
- 1Fears over spread of Ebola as more tragedies emerge
- 2Muslims around the world get set to celebrate the ending of Ramadan
- 3Japan teenager arrested for beheading classmate
- 4#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 5Russia opens humanitarian corridor for injured Ukrainian troops, Russian state TV claims
- 1#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 2Air Algerie plane ‘crashes’ over Sahara
- 347 dead and 11 injured in TransAsia Airways crash landing
- 4TransAsia Airways plane crashes on landing in Taiwan, killing dozens
- 5Eastern Ukrainians ‘hate Russian-led guerrillas’ — Arseniy Yatsenyuk
Wires > News
- 04:54 CET Insight – In China food testing, safety inspectors are often one…
- 04:49 CET Bombs in Syria’s Aleppo kill 13 pro-Assad fighters – monitor
- 04:45 CET At least 24 dead in Guinea beach concert stampede
- 04:25 CET Colombia’s Santos says FARC attacks could end peace process
- 04:12 CET Most Americans see unaccompanied immigrant kids as refugees – poll
- 03:20 CET No safe haven in China’s corruption crackdown: People’s Daily
- 00:36 CET U.S judge says cannot seize Kurdish crude for now
- 22:30 CET Four California teens charged in murder of China graduate student