Many Ukrainian supporters had adopted a team for the Euro 2012 final in their capital Kiev.
Those who chose to back Italy were not as desolate as the Italians, but that is probably because Ukraine and co-hosts Poland have been praised for their organisation of the tournament.
“Yes I supported Italian team,” said one Ukrainian in Italian colours. “It is a pity of course but I hope Italy will play better in the World Cup finals.”
Another added: “I am proud of Ukraine because we organised Euro 2012 very well.”
The President of UEFA, Michel Platini said that
the Polish and Ukrainian people have showed their enthusiasm, and they have set a very high bar for the future which will be difficult to match. The tournament is leaving a very significant legacy in the two countries, he said.
Our correspondent in Kiev, Denys Kulyk said:
“The final lived up to the tournament’s slogan of “Creating history together.”
Spain defeated Italy in the final, won their third title in a row and imposed their dominance in the world of football.”
- 1Italian actor Bud Spencer dies at 86
- 2What will Brexit mean for EU migrants to the UK and British expats?
- 3Lionel Messi retires from international football
- 4Paris and Berlin agree on a strategy following Britain’s shock exit vote
- 5Iceland’s new President Gudni Johannesson off to France for the football
Latest world news
UK: Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn loses confidence vote in wake of Brexit vote
‘Scotland’s voice will be heard’ – Sturgeon vows to fight to maintain EU ties
Feisty Farage tells MEPs ‘You’re not laughing now’
EU leaders gather for the post-Brexit summit in Brussels
Germany says UK will not be allowed to ‘cherry pick’ over Brexit deal
Wires > News
- 18:27 CET Iraqis from Falluja in ‘desperate’ need of aid – charity
- 18:13 CET Michelle Obama, daughters and mom promote girls’ education in…
- 18:09 CET Sweden, Ethiopia, Bolivia elected to U.N. council for 2017-18
- 17:22 CET EU leaders tell Britain to exit swiftly, market rout halts
- 17:17 CET Cracks show inside Islamic State’s shrinking caliphate
- 17:16 CET Poland risks Moscow’s ire with plan to relocate war memorials
- 16:56 CET Kremlin dents Turkish hopes for quick restoration of ties
- 16:54 CET IS Syria stronghold Raqqa next after Manbij operation is completed…