Many Ukrainian supporters had adopted a team for the Euro 2012 final in their capital Kiev.
Those who chose to back Italy were not as desolate as the Italians, but that is probably because Ukraine and co-hosts Poland have been praised for their organisation of the tournament.
“Yes I supported Italian team,” said one Ukrainian in Italian colours. “It is a pity of course but I hope Italy will play better in the World Cup finals.”
Another added: “I am proud of Ukraine because we organised Euro 2012 very well.”
The President of UEFA, Michel Platini said that
the Polish and Ukrainian people have showed their enthusiasm, and they have set a very high bar for the future which will be difficult to match. The tournament is leaving a very significant legacy in the two countries, he said.
Our correspondent in Kiev, Denys Kulyk said:
“The final lived up to the tournament’s slogan of “Creating history together.”
Spain defeated Italy in the final, won their third title in a row and imposed their dominance in the world of football.”
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1International investigators reach MH17 crash site in Ukraine
- 2Ukrainian prime minister’s triumphant speech after resignation rejected
- 3Edward Snowden: after one year in Russia, what now for the NSA whistleblower?
- 4Rosetta the comet hunter arrives at its target
- 5Deadly attack on Ukraine troops near Malaysia Airlines crash site
- 1#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 2Eastern Ukrainians ‘hate Russian-led guerrillas’ — Arseniy Yatsenyuk
- 3Caught on camera – children drugged and beaten in Romanian kindergarten
- 4Ukraine: ‘Disappointment’ at Yatsenyuk resignation
- 5Fears over spread of Ebola as more tragedies emerge
Wires > News
- 13:42 CET Ugandan constitutional court strikes down anti-homosexuality law
- 13:36 CET Court rejects request to arrest Kremlin critic Navalny
- 12:51 CET Pakistan widows, ‘second’ wives flee fighting but are denied aid
- 12:47 CET Islamic State imposes media controls in Syrian province
- 11:48 CET Cyprus expects to grant first casino resort licence within a year
- 10:38 CET Insight – Town vs town, faction vs faction as Libya descends into…
- 09:48 CET Greece evacuates embassy staff, foreign nationals from Libya
- 09:46 CET PR firm Edelman says its China chief is missing amid unspecified…