Wildfires are destroying tens of thousands of hectares of forest in east and north-eastern Spain.
Over 1,000 firefighters are working in the regions of Valencia and Barcelona to put out the flames, but the task has been made more difficult due to strong winds and high temperatures of around 40 degrees celsius.
In Cortes de Palla in Valencia, a blaze was started on Thursday during the installation of solar panels on homes in the area. Police have arrested two people.
Authorities have evacuated 700 people living in towns and villages near the danger zones. They are being housed in temporary shelters.
The fires follow one of the driest winters in the region in 70 years.
- 1Saakashvili warns of Odessa region’s importance to Ukraine
- 2Greece: with referendum looming ‘Yes’ vote ahead, opinion poll suggests
- 3Finland tops European countries in latest happiness survey
- 4Thousands rally in France in support of Greek “no” vote
- 5Tsipras: ‘no’ vote will mean a better deal with lenders
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Spain’s first case of diphtheria in 30 years: parents of six-year-old ‘oppose vaccines’
- 3Greek debt crisis is “absolute supremacy of capital over humans”
- 4[Live updates] NGO flotilla bids to break Israeli blockade of Gaza
- 5[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 6Large Hadron Collider ready to embark on an unprecedented voyage of discovery
- 7Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 8[LIVE UPDATES] France: man decapitated, several wounded in chemical plant attack
- 9Israel prepares to repel boarders as ‘Freedom Flotilla 3’ tries to run Gaza blockade
- 10Greek debt summit – Live updates
- 11‘Distractingly sexy’ scientists hit back in lab chemistry polemic
- 12Romania, Hungary and Bulgaria focus of EU cash fraud probes
- 13NewsWires : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 14Summit up in Brussels as Greek proposals give food for thought and rumours fly
- 15Interpol issues ‘red notice’ for accused ex-FIFA bosses
- 16Battle of Waterloo, live-tweeting 200 years on
- 17Greek PM faces day of crucial bailout talks in Brussels
- 18Citizens take power in Spain’s largest cities as a political revolution sweeps the country
- 19Italy discovers biggest illegal waste dump in Europe
- 20Greek debt: who will pay if Greece fails?
Wires > News
- 23:37 CET At least 10 dead in explosion at mosque in Syria’s Idlib -monitor
- 23:26 CET Top choice blocked for U.N. digital privacy investigator post
- 23:11 CET Catholic Church should not have ‘leaders for life’, Pope says
- 23:00 CET Turkey’s Erdogan moots possibility of snap election
- 22:58 CET Suspected Boko Haram insurgents step up attacks in Nigeria
- 22:49 CET Rockets land in Israel, Egypt’s IS affiliate claims responsibility
- 21:57 CET Gunfire heard on outskirts of Nigerian city of Maiduguri
- 21:30 CET U.N. offers help on simmering Guyana-Venezuela territorial dispute