Four divers have lost their lives in the ‘Blood Cave’, a red-walled cavern at Cape Palinuro, near Salerno in southern Italy.
Eight divers were exploring the underwater cave system when they got disorientated after kicking up mud and sand from the floor. They ended up in a nearby tunnel which led four of them to a dead end, where the coast guard found their bodies.
Medical examinations found the divers had suffocated while trying to find the exit from the cave.
The victims were the 23-year old Greek-born Panaiotis Telios, British-born Douglas Rizzo, 41, 36-year-old Susy Covaccini from Salerno, and Andrea Pedroni, aged 41, from Rome.
Funerals for Panaiotis Telios and Susy Covaccini were held on Tuesday, 3 July in Battipaglia, a town in Salerno province.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Maritime drama deepens as Sweden extends ‘mystery submarine’ search
- 2German intelligence report blames pro-Russian rebels for MH17 crash
- 3Total boss dies in Moscow air crash
- 4Total oil CEO Christophe de Margerie dies in Moscow plane crash; snowplough driver was ‘drunk’
- 5Blast rocks Donetsk chemical plant
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Now is ‘right time’ for Catalonia independence vote, says Mas | euronews, world news
- 3Vatican rocked by another paedophilia scandal | euronews, world news
- 4Two container ships collide on Egypt’s Suez Canal | euronews, no comment
- 5British Muslims’ message to ISIL: Not in my name! | euronews, world news
- 6Sweden becomes first European nation to recognise Palestine | euronews, world news
- 7Algeria: ISIL offshoot releases video threatening French hostage Hervé Gourdel | euronews, world news
- 8Emma Watson threatened with naked photos leak after UN equality speech | euronews, world news
- 9How nasheeds became the soundtrack of jihad | euronews, world news
- 10International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 11Iceland volcano ‘pollutes Paris’ | euronews, world news
- 12Ebola: Six new suspected cases in Spain | euronews, world news
- 13European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 14Learning through “serious games” | euronews, learning world
- 15euronews speaks to Ban Ki-moon ahead of key UN and climate change talks | euronews, the global conversation
- 16Iraq: Baghdad rally held against US ‘occupiers’ | euronews, world news
- 17Mike Tyson: ‘You learn humbleness when you get older in life’ | euronews, the global conversation
- 18US delivers technical aid to Ukraine but warns over security | euronews, world news
- 19euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 20Global warming to ‘cause 250,000 extra deaths a year’ | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 18:30 CET Islamic State advances against Yadizis on Iraq’s Sinjar mountain
- 18:07 CET Consumed by Islamic State, Iraq’s Anbar province a key…
- 17:55 CET Nurse infected with Ebola in Spain cleared of disease
- 17:49 CET Turkish PM unveils tighter security steps after deadly protests
- 17:45 CET Egypt court sets January 1 appeal date for Al Jazeera journalists
- 17:43 CET Canadian soldier dies after being run down by suspected militant
- 17:38 CET Iran arrests several spies near Bushehr nuclear plant – Fars news…
- 17:11 CET Veteran Chinese democracy activist Chen Ziming dies from cancer