Four divers have lost their lives in the ‘Blood Cave’, a red-walled cavern at Cape Palinuro, near Salerno in southern Italy.
Eight divers were exploring the underwater cave system when they got disorientated after kicking up mud and sand from the floor. They ended up in a nearby tunnel which led four of them to a dead end, where the coast guard found their bodies.
Medical examinations found the divers had suffocated while trying to find the exit from the cave.
The victims were the 23-year old Greek-born Panaiotis Telios, British-born Douglas Rizzo, 41, 36-year-old Susy Covaccini from Salerno, and Andrea Pedroni, aged 41, from Rome.
Funerals for Panaiotis Telios and Susy Covaccini were held on Tuesday, 3 July in Battipaglia, a town in Salerno province.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Greek debt crisis is “absolute supremacy of capital over humans”
- 3[Live updates] NGO flotilla bids to break Israeli blockade of Gaza
- 4[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 5Large Hadron Collider ready to embark on an unprecedented voyage of discovery
- 6Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 7[LIVE UPDATES] France: man decapitated, several wounded in chemical plant attack
- 8Israel prepares to repel boarders as ‘Freedom Flotilla 3’ tries to run Gaza blockade
- 9Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 10Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 11NewsWires : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 12Greek debt summit – Live updates
- 13‘Distractingly sexy’ scientists hit back in lab chemistry polemic
- 14Greek debt: who will pay if Greece fails?
- 15Summit up in Brussels as Greek proposals give food for thought and rumours fly
- 16Battle of Waterloo, live-tweeting 200 years on
- 17Greek PM faces day of crucial bailout talks in Brussels
- 18Spain’s first case of diphtheria in 30 years: parents of six-year-old ‘oppose vaccines’
- 19Citizens take power in Spain’s largest cities as a political revolution sweeps the country
- 20Italy discovers biggest illegal waste dump in Europe
Wires > News
- 14:41 CET Srebrenica resolution would widen divisions in Bosnia, Serbs tell…
- 14:18 CET Turkish opposition accuses Erdogan of stalling on government…
- 14:15 CET Judge quits Cambodia’s troubled Khmer Rouge trials
- 14:10 CET Six powers, Iran to continue nuclear talks past deadline – EU
- 13:57 CET Palestinians connect to Jerusalem holy shrine with ‘selfies’
- 13:50 CET Migrant sailboat sinks in Aegean, at least 17 missing
- 13:27 CET Mystery deaths in India recruitment scam pressure Modi’s party
- 13:07 CET Japan’s Abe faces growing risk on security shift: opposition leader