Four divers have lost their lives in the ‘Blood Cave’, a red-walled cavern at Cape Palinuro, near Salerno in southern Italy.
Eight divers were exploring the underwater cave system when they got disorientated after kicking up mud and sand from the floor. They ended up in a nearby tunnel which led four of them to a dead end, where the coast guard found their bodies.
Medical examinations found the divers had suffocated while trying to find the exit from the cave.
The victims were the 23-year old Greek-born Panaiotis Telios, British-born Douglas Rizzo, 41, 36-year-old Susy Covaccini from Salerno, and Andrea Pedroni, aged 41, from Rome.
Funerals for Panaiotis Telios and Susy Covaccini were held on Tuesday, 3 July in Battipaglia, a town in Salerno province.
- 1Aylan Kurdi: the boy whose picture broke the world’s heart
- 2Father of Syrian boy washed up on Turkish beach recalls boat horror
- 3Bicske: Hundreds refusing to leave migrant train
- 4Artist pays tribute to Aylan Kurdi and Good Samaritan
- 5Turkey calls on nations to be more sensitive to the refugee crisis
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 3Caught red-handed: the Russian Major fighting in Ukraine
- 4Video footage shows massive explosion in Tianjin, China
- 5Ukraine puts top Russian general Gerasimov on ‘most wanted’ list
- 6Why World Elephant Day matters
- 7Momentum for Mars: Astronauts say mission is inevitable
- 8Latest News Bulletin
- 9Who came out top in the US Republican television debate?
- 10UK: at least 7 dead after plane crashes into road in Brighton
- 11Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin
- 12Virginia:TV journalist and cameraman shot dead live on air
- 13ISIL militant group claims to have killed Croatian hostage in Egypt
- 14Earth Overshoot Day…Pushing Mother Nature too far
- 15Windows 10, three weeks on: the good, the bad and the ugly
- 16Bringing the trolls out of the dark: Russian ‘troll’ awarded 1 rouble damages
- 17As ‘Daily Show’ Jon Stewart’s tenure ends, scholars say goodbye to their research topic
- 18European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 19International news | euronews, latest international news
- 20Scientists find sinkhole cave under Mexico’s Kukulkan Castle Pyramid
Latest world news
Cameron bows to pressure as Britain set to let in more Syrian refugees
Overnight stand-off as migrants refuse to go to Hungary refugee camp
Drowned Syrian boy’s story stirs strong emotions over migrant crisis
Guatemala President Perez behind bars amid corruption probe
Migrant transit route Libya urges outside help to combat crisis
Wires > News
- 09:24 CET British, Spanish prime ministers make joint call for EU reform
- 09:20 CET Saudi security forces kill ‘terrorist’ in Abqaiq – state TV
- 09:07 CET Russia says Syria’s Assad ready to share power with opposition
- 09:03 CET Hungary’s Orban warns of ‘tens of millions’ of migrants
- 08:51 CET Losses from Chinese port explosions seen at up to 2.16 billion…
- 07:21 CET U.S. men who thwarted France train attack to be honoured in…
- 07:09 CET Coming home to war – Afghan refugees return reluctantly from…
- 07:06 CET Saudi king to meet with Obama amid Gulf concerns over Iran deal