A second attack in the last two days has shattered the calm of central Damascus.
What state media referred to as a “terrorist” bomb ripped through a car park used by lawyers and judges next to Syria’s main court. Three people were injured.
Yesterday a pro-Assad television station was stormed by gunmen.
State television broadcast the cleanup of more than a dozen wrecked vehicles.
However Russia’s move to back the Kofi Annan plan for a transitional government puts more pressure on the regime than any bomb, even if it is qualified by continued support for Bashar al-Assad. If he does not want to go, Moscow will not force him.
“The meeting in Geneva was planned to add support to Kofi Annan’s plan. It has to create the conditions whereby the violence can be stopped and a national Syrian dialogue can be opened, but not to impose any results from this dialogue,” said Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov.
The UN Security Council meets in Geneva on Saturday to discuss Syria. The Syrian opposition’s immediate reaction was to rule out any dialogue if Assad remains in power.
- 1Dozens are killed and wounded in multiple suicide bomb attacks on Istanbul’s Ataturk airport
- 2Suspected ISIL bombers kill 36 and wound dozens at Istanbul airport
- 3Italian actor Bud Spencer dies at 86
- 4Feisty Farage tells MEPs ‘You’re not laughing now’
- 5What is behind Turkey’s recent diplomatic push?
Latest world news
EU 27 meet in Brussels – and the UK is not invited
World condemns Turkey airport attack
Terror in Turkey: attack at Ataturk airport leaves 36 dead and scores injured
Suspected ISIL bombers kill 36 and wound dozens at Istanbul airport
European Union leaders speak with one voice over Istanbul airport attacks
Wires > News
- 10:00 CET India’s top court refuses to hear gay-sex ban challenge
- 09:17 CET Syria rebels battle IS at Iraqi border, aim to cut ‘caliphate’ in…
- 09:14 CET Malaysian police probe grenade attack, checking credibility of …
- 07:46 CET As Duterte takes over in Philippines, police killings stir fear
- 06:05 CET Exclusive: U.S. to upgrade Thailand in annual human trafficking…
- 02:23 CET Brazil Congress investigates lawmaker’s alleged support of torture
- 01:19 CET Dutch PM Rutte wants ‘binding’ assurances over EU’s Ukraine deal
- 00:15 CET Italy, Netherlands propose split U.N. Security Council seat for…