A second attack in the last two days has shattered the calm of central Damascus.
What state media referred to as a “terrorist” bomb ripped through a car park used by lawyers and judges next to Syria’s main court. Three people were injured.
Yesterday a pro-Assad television station was stormed by gunmen.
State television broadcast the cleanup of more than a dozen wrecked vehicles.
However Russia’s move to back the Kofi Annan plan for a transitional government puts more pressure on the regime than any bomb, even if it is qualified by continued support for Bashar al-Assad. If he does not want to go, Moscow will not force him.
“The meeting in Geneva was planned to add support to Kofi Annan’s plan. It has to create the conditions whereby the violence can be stopped and a national Syrian dialogue can be opened, but not to impose any results from this dialogue,” said Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov.
The UN Security Council meets in Geneva on Saturday to discuss Syria. The Syrian opposition’s immediate reaction was to rule out any dialogue if Assad remains in power.
- 1Incredible scenes in the Turkish parliament
- 2Denmark extends controls on German border, EU set to allow more Schengen exceptions
- 3Three Earth-like planets found outside the Solar System
- 4Palestinians condemn Eurovision Song Contest for flag ban
- 5Rebels launch surprise attack on Aleppo – Syrian state TV
Latest world news
Brazil’s top prosecutor requests probe into Dilma Rousseff’s role in Petrobras scandal.
Trump is Republican presumptive nominee after crushing Cruz in Indiana
Wildfire triggers emergency evacuation in Alberta
Israeli troops shoot dead driver of rammed car
Google and Fiat to team up on self drive cars
Wires > News
- 09:33 CET Dhaka arrests five Bangladeshis deported from Singapore
- 09:28 CET Air raids hit east of Damascus after ‘calm’ expires – Observatory
- 08:40 CET Turkey approves law among final hurdles for EU visa deal
- 08:17 CET Car bomb blast in southeast Turkey kills one Turkish soldier…
- 08:01 CET Turkey’s Erdogan advances weekly PM meet to Wednesday as tension…
- 07:58 CET Turkish military returns fire into Syria after rockets hit border…
- 07:48 CET ‘Bongbong’, the son, leads Marcos revival in the Philippines
- 07:36 CET Canadian wildfire forces evacuation order for entire city