Among the many case files on the table at the EU summit is the single European patent.
EU Commissioner Michel Barnier wants this project completed. It has been languishing on the back burner for several years, but the hope is one patent across most of the EU would stimulate innovation.
During a recent visit to the Institut Pasteur in Paris, Barnier called on member states to finish the job.
“With a single patent we could reduce the cost of protecting innovation by 10 to 20 times. Better protection means more jobs. It’s high time heads of state and government removed the final hurdle by deciding where the court will be located to rule on each and every case, because if you have a single patent, you need a single jurisdiction,” Barnier said.
The smart money for the court’s location looks to be Paris with EU Council President Herman Van Rompuy coming out on Tuesday in support of the French capital.
The implementation of a single European patent will be real progress according to Simon Wain-Hobson, a researcher at the Institut Pasteur.
“For a company, you can then say, ‘well that money can be invested in a job, and the job will create a patent’, and the whole thing accelerates, so it’s a sort of a virtuous circle,” Wain-Hobson said.
At the moment it costs around 30,000 euros to enforce a patent across the EU’s 27 member countries, while in the US, it costs less than 2,000.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International news | euronews, latest international news
- 3Most Istanbul blast victims ‘were German’, says Turkey
- 4Madrid to appeal Catalan road to independence from Spain
- 5Partnering to grow Europe
- 6Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 7Moldova: protesters storm Parliament
- 8Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 9Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 10Merroussis clinches the 33rd Athens Authentic Marathon
- 11Norway sends Syrian refugees back to Russia
- 12‘National’ funeral for Celine Dion’s husband ‘over the top’
- 13Jorge Lorenzo clinches his third MotoGP title in Valencia
- 14Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 15Benzema questioned in French sex tape case
- 16International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 17latest Learning World - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 18Paris: “I would rather see my brother in prison than in a cemetery”
- 19Brussels remains on high alert: ‘multiple operations underway’ across Belgium
- 20Middle East - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
latest europe news
Migrant crisis: Surprise Turkey-Germany proposal for NATO help hijacks meeting
Greece under renewed pressure to help fix migrant crisis
Varoufakis’ new pan-Europe party aims to strengthen democracy
Migrant crisis: Turkey-EU ‘lack of trust’ slows action
EU piles pressure on Turkey to open border to Syrian refugees