Happy and relieved Italian football fans emerge from the stadium in Kiev after beating England on penalties.
With England known for being serial shootout loosers it was little surprise that Italy triumphed when it came to the dreaded test of nerve.
Now the semi finalists are sorted, several Italian and Spanish supporters appeared not to be worried about taking on Germany and Portugal, if fact a couple of them predicted an Italy – Spain final.
But for England fans it was a bitter defeat:
“England had a better defence. Italy were better going forward. They cancelled each other out. It went to penalties. It’s fifty-fifty then,” said one supporter before he set off on his long trip home.
Reporting for euronews, Sergio Cantone said:
“The Italians are totally convinced that they will win this Euro and that they’ll beat Germany who they meet next…We’ll have to wait and see!”
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Students floated to safety from South Korea ferry
- 2#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 3Israel warns of “long-lasting operation” in Gaza as at least five Israeli soldiers killed
- 4Palestinian children killed by missile strike while at play in Gaza
- 5Israeli launches night time air strikes on Gaza
- 1Fears over spread of Ebola as more tragedies emerge
- 2Muslims around the world get set to celebrate the ending of Ramadan
- 3Japan teenager arrested for beheading classmate
- 4#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 5Russia opens humanitarian corridor for injured Ukrainian troops, Russian state TV claims
- 1#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 2Air Algerie plane ‘crashes’ over Sahara
- 347 dead and 11 injured in TransAsia Airways crash landing
- 4TransAsia Airways plane crashes on landing in Taiwan, killing dozens
- 5Eastern Ukrainians ‘hate Russian-led guerrillas’ — Arseniy Yatsenyuk
Wires > News
- 12:36 CET Special Report – Where Ukraine’s separatists get their weapons
- 11:54 CET China’s war games don’t faze Japan but disrupt civilian air traffic
- 10:54 CET South Africa metals workers start returning to job after four-week…
- 10:47 CET Civilians killed in eastern Ukraine amid fierce fighting
- 10:22 CET U.S. judge signs order to seize Kurdish oil from tanker off Texas
- 10:19 CET Insight – Gold, diamonds feed Central African religious violence
- 09:30 CET Australia issues arrest warrants over Syria severed head photos
- 03:51 CET U.S. says Russia violated nuclear treaty, urges immediate talks