Italy have reached the semi-finals of the European championships for the first time since 2000 after beating England 4-2 on penalties in Kiev.
England survived wave after wave of attack from the Italians, who apart from the first five minutes of the match dominated regulation and added time which ended in a goalless stalemate.
Ashley Young and Ashley Cole both failed to convert from the spot leaving Alessandro Diamanti to hit home the winning penalty and send the Azzurri through.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1The Shark bites: Nibali sprints to victory in stage 18 of the Tour de France
- 2Barcelona pay record sum for 30-year-old Mathieu
- 3Football: Japan appoints Javier Aguirre as new manager
- 4‘Never give up’: euronews talks to potential Invictus Games competitors
- 5LA Lakers signing Lin holds training camp in Taiwan
Wires > Sport
- 03:58 CET Australia surprise themselves as supersuit record beaten
- 03:56 CET No turning back for expansive Brumbies in Sydney
- 01:16 CET No more ‘cut-throat’ grand tours, says Wiggins
- 00:58 CET Pinto quits Costa Rica after ‘sleeping with enemy’
- 00:57 CET Pinto quits Costa Rica after ‘sleeping with enemy’
- 00:35 CET Wenger bemoans Arsenal’s pre-season tour schedule
- 23:53 CET Hamilton hopes to agree new deal this year
- 23:30 CET Scotland’s Murdoch wins shock gold in the pool