Italy have reached the semi-finals of the European championships for the first time since 2000 after beating England 4-2 on penalties in Kiev.
England survived wave after wave of attack from the Italians, who apart from the first five minutes of the match dominated regulation and added time which ended in a goalless stalemate.
Ashley Young and Ashley Cole both failed to convert from the spot leaving Alessandro Diamanti to hit home the winning penalty and send the Azzurri through.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Liverpool remain on track for first league title in 24 years
- 2Champions League draw: Bayern Munich to face Real Madrid, Atletico Madrid meet Chelsea
- 3El Morabity clinches Marathon des Sables
- 4Tough desert day for the runners in the Marathon Des Sables
- 5Real Madrid pile misery on Barcelona with Copa del Rey win
Wires > Sport
- 00:55 CET Honda to focus on McLaren in 2015
- 23:55 CET Korean K.J. Choi beats bad weather to take Heritage lead
- 23:35 CET It’s getting increasingly tough for bowlers, says Ajmal
- 22:32 CET Moores to get second chance in England top job – reports
- 20:49 CET Desisa bids for repeat in fast Boston field
- 20:23 CET Replacement Asian Games host needed fast, not Singapore- Ng Ser…
- 20:08 CET Champions League exit behind PSG, says Blanc
- 19:53 CET Manufacturers limited in efforts to make F1 louder