Italy have reached the semi-finals of the European championships for the first time since 2000 after beating England 4-2 on penalties in Kiev.
England survived wave after wave of attack from the Italians, who apart from the first five minutes of the match dominated regulation and added time which ended in a goalless stalemate.
Ashley Young and Ashley Cole both failed to convert from the spot leaving Alessandro Diamanti to hit home the winning penalty and send the Azzurri through.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
Wires > Sport
- 10:39 CET Gerrard says last three months ‘worst of my life’
- 10:04 CET Australia’s Speight ruled out for month by injury
- 09:20 CET Ronaldo may feature in United friendly, Ancelotti says
- 09:13 CET Lisicki fires fastest ever serve in Stanford defeat
- 08:28 CET Thai Kiradech eager to be big hit at PGA Championship again
- 07:24 CET All Blacks’ Smith to make low-key return from thumb injury
- 06:18 CET Waratahs wary of returning winger Nadolo
- 05:24 CET Tevez father kidnapped, released after ransom paid