“A failure of leadership” the verdict on the UN Rio+20 Earth Summit by environmental groups and veteran politicians.
Former Brazilian President Fernando Cardoso who chaired the 1992 Earth Summit and Mary Robinson ex-president of Ireland and UN High Commissioner for Human Rights, voiced their frustrations about the summit’s final declaration.
UN Secretary General Ban ki Moon seemed pleased with the draft document and called on governments to end world hunger:
“The outcome document is a very solid, concrete, ambitious and good one – providing a firm foundation for building a sustainable future.”
The declaration agreed puts the green economy as just one possible route to sustainable development.
Campaigners say they are frustrated by the whole process claiming the Earth Summit text-The Future We Want-was finished before the arrival of 150 world leaders and ministers.
The meeting, 20 years on from the first Rio Summit, was aimed at putting the global economy on a green footing.
The reality for environmentalists and campaigners fell far short of its stated aim.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1South Korea: Dramatic amateur footage emerges of final moments before stricken ferry capsizes
- 2Ukraine: US, Russia and EU strike deal after crisis talks
- 3A mother’s slap signals mercy for a convicted Iranian murderer
- 4Geneva talks defy predictions of failure but will words turn into actions?
- 5As it happened : Kyiv and Moscow reach agreement on de-escalation roadmap
- 1Ukrainian troops allegedly desert to join pro-Russian forces in Slavyansk
- 2As it happened : Kyiv and Moscow reach agreement on de-escalation roadmap
- 3‘Rubbish’: Putin slams claims that Russia is behind Ukraine revolt
- 4Pro-Russian activists seize Ukraine armoured vehicles
- 5Pictures and videos of April 15 lunar “Blood Moon” eclipse
Wires > News
- 12:34 CET Turkish president rules out role swap with Erdogan
- 12:30 CET Vice principal of South Korea school in ferry disaster commits…
- 12:23 CET At least 12 Nepali guides killed in Everest avalanche
- 11:55 CET Labour Party hires Obama strategist for 2015 poll
- 11:42 CET Japan to arm remote western island, risking more China tension
- 10:27 CET Iran says will firmly deter any attacks as military displays might
- 09:45 CET As opposition grows, China defends plans for petrochemical plants
- 08:42 CET Fly me to Sochi, demands Cathay passenger armed with chocolate…