22/06/12 11:43 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
“A failure of leadership” the verdict on the UN Rio+20 Earth Summit by environmental groups and veteran politicians.
Former Brazilian President Fernando Cardoso who chaired the 1992 Earth Summit and Mary Robinson ex-president of Ireland and UN High Commissioner for Human Rights, voiced their frustrations about the summit’s final declaration.
UN Secretary General Ban ki Moon seemed pleased with the draft document and called on governments to end world hunger:
“The outcome document is a very solid, concrete, ambitious and good one – providing a firm foundation for building a sustainable future.”
The declaration agreed puts the green economy as just one possible route to sustainable development.
Campaigners say they are frustrated by the whole process claiming the Earth Summit text-The Future We Want-was finished before the arrival of 150 world leaders and ministers.
The meeting, 20 years on from the first Rio Summit, was aimed at putting the global economy on a green footing.
The reality for environmentalists and campaigners fell far short of its stated aim.
- 1EgyptAir crash: airline says Flight MS804 wreckage found
- 2Venezuela economy fractured with shortages of essentials across the country
- 3The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 4Crimean Tatars look for Eurovision boost on day of national tragedy
- 5Kazakh police break up anti-government protests
Latest world news
Eurozone ministers agree “breakthrough” deal with Greece
Kurdish-led militias launch offensive against ISIL-held Raqqa
Paris attacks: victims families seek answers
UN chief Ban voices his disappointment as first World Humanitarian Summit closes
Monsanto rejects Bayer multi-billion dollar bid
Wires > News
- 02:59 CET Japan PM Abe to meet with Obama, Cameron ahead of G7 summit
- 02:51 CET After benefits of cheap oil, India counts cost of reduced Gulf…
- 00:50 CET Pakistan can’t confirm Taliban leader is dead, criticises …
- 23:17 CET Daughter of detained Hong Kong bookseller appeals for U.S. help
- 23:01 CET Brazil’s Temer seeks constitutional change to curb public spending
- 22:19 CET Egyptian appeals court cancels five-year jail terms for 47 over…
- 22:11 CET Thousands of migrants saved in 23 rescue operations off Libya
- 22:07 CET Myanmar poet’s jail term ‘like from the old days’