Germany’s government and opposition have reached a deal on growth that should mean the eurozone’s permanent bailout scheme gets parliamentary approval.
However the country’s top court has insisted on more time to check it complies with the constitution, potentially delaying the rescue fund’s start date.
The political breakthrough came after eight weeks of talks.
“Along with Chancellor Merkel, we just agreed on measures for growth and employment in Europe. We made it clear that we need sustainable financial resources for this, such as taxing financial markets,” said Sigmar Gabriel, chairman of the centre-left Social Democrats.
The agreement means the ruling coalition should have the backing it needs from the Social Democrats and the Greens to get Europe’s new budget treaty ratified by the German parliament next week.
“We are all interested in stabilising the euro and I believe we have achieved this, and we’re happy about it,” said the head of the Christian Democrats group in parliament, Volker Kauder.
The European bailout fund was meant to come into effect on July 1. That looks set to be put back because of ratification delays in several countries, including Germany.
- 1Putin and Hollande agree on greater cooperation over Syrian air strikes
- 2Russia hits Turkey with economic sanctions, warns more could follow
- 3How to talk to kids about tragedies such as the Paris attacks
- 4Turkey and Russia trade barbs as tensions mount over downed jet
- 5Muslims in Russian Federation, under police pressure (some) enlist with ISIL
- 1Warning or no warning – tension grows between Russia and Turkey over downed jet
- 2Russian co-pilot says his plane downed “without warning” by Turks
- 3Hollande adds Italy to his coalition before heading to Moscow
- 4Media war Turkish and Russian press react to downed fighter
- 5Germany will ‘do more’ to fight ISIL, says Merkel
- 1At least 22 people killed as Mali hotel siege ends
- 2Fate of pilots of downed Russian jet unclear
- 3Russia confirms Turks have shot down one of its planes on Syrian border
- 4Five questions on Russia’s air strikes in Syria
- 5Hasna Aitboulahcen did not detonate a suicide vest during the St. Denis shoot out
- 1Coordinated terror attacks leave dozens dead in Paris
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 31000-year-old Bible found in Turkey
- 4Bomb and several shootings in central Paris – reports of fatalities and injuries
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6world Weather | euronews: world ten day weather forecast
- 7Police hunting Paris attacks mastermind battle with suspects in heart of Paris
- 8European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 9latest sci-tech news : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 10New temporary spiritual leader of Muslim Brotherhood appointed
- 11Humans consume more than planet can produce on ‘Earth Overshoot Day’
- 12Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 13‘Anonymous’ hackers’ group declares ‘war’ on ISIL
- 14‘Maxed-out:’ Jordan’s King Abdullah II’s frank warning over Syria crisis
- 15International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 16Business news and finance news | euronews: international economic and finance news
- 17Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 18Iraq: deadly car bombs kill more than 60 in Baghdad
- 19Middle East - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 20No Comment | euronews: international news images without commentary
Latest world news
USA: estimates suggest early Black Friday sales not up to the mark
Italian police seize hundreds of rifles bound for Belgium
US: man arrested after jumping White House fence
Probe opens into murder of Venezuelan opposition leader
Turkey: two journalists jailed over Syria smuggling reports
Wires > News
- 08:28 CET Thailand ‘highly likely’ to decide to join TPP – deputy prime…
- 08:21 CET Islamic State claims responsibility for attack on Bangladesh…
- 07:48 CET Kurds should be at Saudi-held Syria opposition meet – leader
- 07:33 CET Palestinian rams car into Israelis, then shot dead – police
- 07:18 CET Chinese rights activist jailed for six years
- 07:11 CET Easing of China one-child policy too late for those who lost only…
- 06:59 CET Allegations of plot against Thai government unfounded – opposition
- 06:49 CET China air force again holds drills in Western Pacific