The results of Egypt’s presidential election have been delayed adding to the tension in Tahrir Square.
The people had been expecting to discover the winner today. Now they will have to wait until the weekend.
The problem is said to be due to the number of voting appeals but some like the Speaker of Egypt’s dissolved parliament, Saad al-Katatni smell a political rat:
“The military council, in an indirect manner, is not going to hand over power on June 30. And after the drawing up of the constitution, they will keep hold of legislative powers until the election of a new parliament. This could take months, it could take years.”
Last weekend’s presidential run-off pitted Muslim Brotherhood’s Mohamed Morsy against former Hosni Mubarak ally Ahmed Shafiq. Both claim to have won.
Many of the thousands filling Tahrir Square are unconvinced there is any need to delay declaring the official winner.
“There’s nothing wrong with the number of votes counted,” said one protester. “The number of votes which was announced by Mohamed Morsy’s campaign is the same as those announced by the Judges.”
“Delaying the results of the election means there is an intention to rig it. They mean to betray the elected president,” added another.
Those who are already critical of the military’s decision to dissolve parliament and to decree the army sweeping new powers have become even more angry.
- Egyptian army
- Egyptian politics
- Election results
- Mohamed Mursi
- Muslim Brotherhood
- Presidential election Egypt
- 1Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist
- 2One of five suspects charged after Melbourne anti-terror raids
- 3Exclusive: choose between co-operation and confrontation, Iran’s Foreign Minister warns
- 4Foreigners flee xenophobic attacks in South Africa
- 5International lenders raise pressure on Greece as cash crunch looms
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Chomsky – a rebel with a cause | euronews, world news
- 3Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 4[LIVE] Germanwings passenger jet crashes in southern France, 148 people on board – authorities | euronews, world news
- 5Europe is ‘bluffing’ over Greece-Russia relations – analyst | euronews, news
- 6French Alps plane crash treated as suicide and mass murder by co-pilot | euronews, world news
- 7Why is Bulgaria the EU’s most unhappy country? | euronews, world news
- 8Former IMF chief ‘under investigation for money laundering’ | euronews, world news
- 9Greece’s claim for war reparations from Germany explained | euronews, world news
- 10International news | euronews, latest international news
- 11eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 12International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 13Pope Francis washes Rome prisoners’ feet on Holy Thursday | euronews, world news
- 14ECB chief Mario Draghi unhurt after protest during speech | euronews, world news
- 15Reaching new heights: Parents in India scale walls to ‘help students cheat’ | euronews, world news
- 16Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say? | euronews, world news
- 17French prosecutor: Germanwings co-pilot appears to have crashed plane deliberately | euronews, world news
- 18Woman carries can of water on her head along Paris marathon | euronews, world news
- 19European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 20[Live updates] France plane crash: damaged black box ‘can provide information’ | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 02:32 CET Islamic State shoots and beheads 30 Ethiopian Christians in Libya…
- 02:16 CET Media reports say Mexican police were involved in January killings
- 22:32 CET Iraqi Kurdish forces widen buffer around oil-rich city of Kirkuk
- 22:01 CET Iraqi Shi’ite militia says DNA tests prove Saddam aide dead
- 21:01 CET Hundreds drown off Libya, EU leaders forced to reconsider migrant…
- 20:38 CET Yemen’s Houthi leader accuses Saudi Arabia of seeking to invade
- 20:06 CET Gunmen kill eight supporters of Brazilian football club
- 20:01 CET Mexico says captures Juarez Cartel leader