The UN’s three-day sustainable development summit has opened in Rio de Janeiro amid low expectations.
Known as the Rio+20 because of the landmark Earth Summit in the city two decades ago, delegates have already criticised the weakness of a prepared declaration.
France’s President Francois Hollande was among them as the blueprint omits a French funding proposal.
“France remains determined to establish along with those states that want to, a tax on financial transactions, and I take the commitment that if the tax is created, a portion of these revenues will be allocated to development.”
Numerous protest groups marched through the streets of Rio as the summit opened. They want the 130 participating heads of state and government ministers to make sure words are translated into actions.
One protester said they had 72 hours to discuss issues such as food and water security and to decide the fate of future generations.
- 1Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin | euronews, world news
- 2Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 3euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 4Nepal: ‘equally big earthquakes coming in eastern regions,’ expert tells euronews | euronews, world news
- 5It’s a girl: Britain’s Duchess of Cambridge gives birth in London | euronews, world news
- 6How Nepal earthquake devastated Kathmandu’s UNESCO heritage | euronews, world news
- 7Chernobyl Children: what makes Ukrainians born in 1986 different? | euronews, world news
- 8International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 9Exclusive: unrest in FYR Macedonia could hit other Balkan countries warns Serbian PM | euronews, world news
- 10International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 11Andrea Ferrari: the graphene guru | euronews, science
- 12Juncker to Hungarian PM Orban: “Hello, Dictator!”
- 13Portuguese language reform law goes global | euronews, world news
- 14EU membership remains Serbia’s priority, says PM Aleksandar Vucic | euronews, the global conversation
- 15Watch: France’s Jean-Marie Le Pen clashes with UKIP MEP Woolfe | euronews, world news
- 16Spain: the viral soldiers fighting in Madrid and Barcelona mayoral races | euronews, world news
- 17How young translators are helping knit European culture together | euronews, generation y
- 18Evidence of ancient wine found in Georgia a vintage quaffed some 6,000 years BC
- 19We will not be moved! China’s urban spread resistance [PHOTOS]
- 20How World War II shaped modern Poland | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 13:16 CET Italian nun moves towards sainthood in first Kenyan ceremony
- 13:14 CET As tensions ease, Cyprus leaders enjoy coffee and cake in capital
- 11:53 CET Russia to adopt tough position if Ukraine defaults: PM Medvedev
- 11:39 CET Islamic State raises flag over citadel in Syria’s Palmyra -…
- 11:34 CET Ireland backs gay marriage in historic vote, ministers say
- 09:35 CET China and Peru agree to study transcontinental rail link
- 09:31 CET Suicide bomber kills 21 at Saudi Shi’ite mosque, Islamic State…
- 07:28 CET Dispute over Mideast nuclear arms ban torpedoes U.N. conference