Confusion surrounds the health of ousted former Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak. Egyptian TV announced the 84-year-old was “clinically dead,” something the ruling military council categorically denied.
Throughout the night updates concerning his condition were issued, many proved to be inaccurate.
Hosni Mubarak who ruled Egypt for 30 years was sentenced to life imprisonment on June 2 and his health has been portrayed as poor by officials over the past year. The announcement comes at a time of high tension in Egypt over the election of a civilian president.
Mubarak’s long time opponents, the Muslim Brotherhood, claim their candidate won the weekend’s presidential run-off against Mubarak’s former prime minister, but the result remains unclear.
A few well-wishers gathered outside the Cairo hospital:
“May Allah have mercy on his soul if he has passed away. He did many good things for the country and we will not forget his deeds,” said one supporter.
Most Egyptians are more concerned with the direction the country is to take in future than the wellbeing of the former president:
“Mubarak is no longer in our hearts, he has no value to us anymore, we need to focus on the now and what’s coming, what’s been done is done but may god fix his situation,” said one man on Tahrir Square.
The results of last weekend’s election are due to be announced later this week.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1‘Allahu Akbar’ lone wolf attacker shot dead by French police
- 2Who is the EU’s worst at spending Brussels’ billions?
- 3ISIL fighters ‘flee’ Iraq’s Sinjar as Peshmerga troops ‘make gains’
- 4New laws to ‘wipe out’ militants after Pakistan school massacre
- 5New Romanian President Klaus Iohannis vows to tackle corruption
- 1Rosetta team is euronews’ people of 2014
- 2Pakistanis protest against Taliban as army intensifies offensive in north-west
- 3‘Allahu Akbar’ lone wolf attacker shot dead by French police
- 4Australia: two hostages and gunman dead after police storm Sydney siege café
- 5ISIL fighters ‘flee’ Iraq’s Sinjar as Peshmerga troops ‘make gains’
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Le Pen: I admire ‘cool head’ Putin’s resistance to West’s new Cold War | euronews, interview
- 3Watch: Passengers ‘push-start’ frozen plane in Siberia | euronews, world news
- 4Which countries in Europe cause the most air pollution damage? | euronews, world news
- 5McCain blasts Europe’s approach to Ukraine conflict ‘a joke’ | euronews, the global conversation
- 6Moldova pro-EU parties take narrow lead in elections | euronews, world news
- 7NATO joins search for ‘Russian submarine’ off Scottish coast | euronews, world news
- 8Ukraine reports accident at Zaporizhzhya nuclear power plant | euronews, world news
- 9Grenoble: Europe’s first ad-free city | euronews, world news
- 10Crude awakening: Romania’s Black Sea oil and gas finds fuel Europe’s energy hopes | euronews, reporter
- 11European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 12The American Century comes to an end as China becomes the world’s largest economy | euronews, economy
- 13Israeli warplanes hit targets in Syria | euronews, world news
- 14Germans demand honour for Turkish woman beaten to death | euronews, world news
- 15Chechen ‘death’ unit fighting with rebels in eastern Ukraine | euronews, world news
- 16International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 17Belgium’s former queen Fabiola dies at 86 | euronews, world news
- 18Portugal: Ex-PM José Socrates held in corruption probe | euronews, world news
- 19Catalonia announces new ‘independence plan’ | euronews, world news
- 20Pakistan Taliban ‘kill over 100’ in Peshawar school attack | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 01:01 CET South Korea prosecutors seek U.S. help in probe of nuclear cyber…
- 00:37 CET Man rams van into Christmas market in France
- 23:59 CET U.S. at U.N. calls North Korea ‘living nightmare;’ China overruled
- 22:39 CET Record number at Germany’s anti-immigrant rally
- 22:16 CET UBS whistelblower Birkenfeld lodges request for return to Europe
- 21:45 CET Jordan puts Brotherhood politician on trial over UAE comments
- 20:14 CET EU foreign policy boss determined to work with new Tunisian leader
- 20:09 CET Japanese daily promises reform after ‘comfort women’ coverage…