Confusion surrounds the health of ousted former Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak. Egyptian TV announced the 84-year-old was “clinically dead,” something the ruling military council categorically denied.
Throughout the night updates concerning his condition were issued, many proved to be inaccurate.
Hosni Mubarak who ruled Egypt for 30 years was sentenced to life imprisonment on June 2 and his health has been portrayed as poor by officials over the past year. The announcement comes at a time of high tension in Egypt over the election of a civilian president.
Mubarak’s long time opponents, the Muslim Brotherhood, claim their candidate won the weekend’s presidential run-off against Mubarak’s former prime minister, but the result remains unclear.
A few well-wishers gathered outside the Cairo hospital:
“May Allah have mercy on his soul if he has passed away. He did many good things for the country and we will not forget his deeds,” said one supporter.
Most Egyptians are more concerned with the direction the country is to take in future than the wellbeing of the former president:
“Mubarak is no longer in our hearts, he has no value to us anymore, we need to focus on the now and what’s coming, what’s been done is done but may god fix his situation,” said one man on Tahrir Square.
The results of last weekend’s election are due to be announced later this week.
- 1Two commuter trains collide head-on in Germany
- 2Black boxes retrieved from site of deadly Bad Aibling train collision
- 3Leopard enters Indian school, mauls six people
- 4Refugees in Hungary offered classes to speed integration
- 5New migrant tragedy claims 27 lives as Greece grapples with refugee crisis
- 1Leopard enters Indian school, mauls six people
- 2Japanese volcano erupts on nuclear power station island
- 3Aleppo: Germany and Turkey come up with a 10-point action plan
- 4Pegida fails to ignite as Europe-wide anti-Muslim protests fizzle
- 5One of world’s biggest container ships stranded on German river
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International news | euronews, latest international news
- 3Most Istanbul blast victims ‘were German’, says Turkey
- 4Madrid to appeal Catalan road to independence from Spain
- 5Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 6Partnering to grow Europe
- 7Moldova: protesters storm Parliament
- 8Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 9Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 10Norway sends Syrian refugees back to Russia
- 11Merroussis clinches the 33rd Athens Authentic Marathon
- 12‘National’ funeral for Celine Dion’s husband ‘over the top’
- 13Jorge Lorenzo clinches his third MotoGP title in Valencia
- 14Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 15Benzema questioned in French sex tape case
- 16latest Learning World - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 17Paris: “I would rather see my brother in prison than in a cemetery”
- 18Brussels remains on high alert: ‘multiple operations underway’ across Belgium
- 19International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 20account : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
Latest world news
Zuma’s legal battle latest stumble in error-filled second term
New Hampshire: Trump tipped to triumph, but everything still to play for
Spain: Princess Cristina and her husband in court, as defendants testify in fraud case
New Hampshire: What the pivotal primary means for White House hopefuls
Eastern Ukraine struggles to survive across rebel dividing line
Wires > News
- 18:26 CET Nigeria’s parliament delays vote on revised 2016 budget
- 18:12 CET U.N. fears for hundreds of thousands if Syria troops encircle…
- 18:10 CET EU eyes shifting some development funds towards tackling migration…
- 18:05 CET Kurdish conflict overshadows cup quarter-final in southeast Turkey
- 18:03 CET Kuwait backs alliances against Islamic State, but no troops
- 18:01 CET Rubio needs strong New Hampshire showing to rebut debate critics
- 18:00 CET Ten dead, more than 80 injured in Bavaria train crash
- 17:58 CET Spain shelves case against former ally of Mexican president