Confusion surrounds the health of ousted former Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak. Egyptian TV announced the 84-year-old was “clinically dead,” something the ruling military council categorically denied.
Throughout the night updates concerning his condition were issued, many proved to be inaccurate.
Hosni Mubarak who ruled Egypt for 30 years was sentenced to life imprisonment on June 2 and his health has been portrayed as poor by officials over the past year. The announcement comes at a time of high tension in Egypt over the election of a civilian president.
Mubarak’s long time opponents, the Muslim Brotherhood, claim their candidate won the weekend’s presidential run-off against Mubarak’s former prime minister, but the result remains unclear.
A few well-wishers gathered outside the Cairo hospital:
“May Allah have mercy on his soul if he has passed away. He did many good things for the country and we will not forget his deeds,” said one supporter.
Most Egyptians are more concerned with the direction the country is to take in future than the wellbeing of the former president:
“Mubarak is no longer in our hearts, he has no value to us anymore, we need to focus on the now and what’s coming, what’s been done is done but may god fix his situation,” said one man on Tahrir Square.
The results of last weekend’s election are due to be announced later this week.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Heavy fighting in Donetsk; possible mass grave discovered
- 2Catalan independence put on hold: constitutional court suspends vote
- 3Migrant deaths in Mediterranean reach a record 3,072 in 2014
- 4Red alert in southern France as heavy rains sweep Languedoc region
- 5Spain: Constitutional court votes to suspend Catalonia independence referendum
- 1Algeria: ISIL offshoot releases video threatening French hostage Hervé Gourdel
- 2Update: Emma Watson nude photos threat may be elaborate PR stunt
- 3Iceland volcano ‘pollutes Paris’
- 4Teenage ‘terror suspect’ shot dead by police in Australia after attacking officers
- 5Watch: Leonardo DiCaprio speech among five must-see clips on UN climate summit
- 1Podemos: Spanish indignation in Brussels’ corridors of power | euronews, reporter
- 2Watch: Angry mob throw Ukraine MP into rubbish bin | euronews, world news
- 3Iraq: Baghdad rally held against US ‘occupiers’ | euronews, world news
- 4New car offers freedom for disabled drivers | euronews, hi-tech
- 5Now is ‘right time’ for Catalonia independence vote, says Mas | euronews, world news
- 6Israel announces it will seize 400 acres in West Bank | euronews, world news
- 73D printing: a driving force in design and engineering | euronews, hi-tech
- 8Rise of the machines | euronews, futuris
- 9Ukraine: Donetsk rebel weapons factory blows up | euronews, world news
- 10Young Yazidi girl escapes Islamic State kidnappers | euronews, world news
- 11Vatican rocked by another paedophilia scandal | euronews, world news
- 12Two container ships collide on Egypt’s Suez Canal | euronews, no comment
- 13Algeria: ISIL offshoot releases video threatening French hostage Hervé Gourdel | euronews, world news
- 14#Indyref Live: Scotland votes on independence from UK | euronews, world news
- 15Thousands ‘evade’ Ebola lockdown in Sierra Leone | euronews, world news
- 16British Muslims’ message to ISIL: Not in my name! | euronews, world news
- 17Iceland puts on a show as two of its volcanoes spew out lava | euronews, world news
- 18The business benefits of EU chemical regulation | euronews, business planet
- 19Iceland volcano ‘pollutes Paris’ | euronews, world news
- 20Emma Watson threatened with naked photos leak after UN equality speech | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 09:42 CET France defies EU partners with ‘no austerity’ budget
- 09:16 CET Syria-linked militants release Lebanese soldier – sources, media
- 09:05 CET Thai junta approves $3 billion stimulus to spur growth – PM
- 08:56 CET French budget sets out deficit cuts but ‘no austerity’
- 08:38 CET In attack by al Qaeda, lines blur between Pakistan’s military…
- 08:26 CET Amid differences, Netanyahu to seek reassurances from Obama on Iran
- 08:13 CET U.S. sends ‘Ironhorse’ tanks to NATO’s nervous Baltic front line
- 07:40 CET Turkey, frustrated with West, clings to fading vision for the…