For some sections of the French press, victory over Sweden should have been a formality but Laurent Blanc’s 23-game unbeaten record always looked in danger against a side that finally showed itself to be solid and a little spectacular.
Zlatan Ibrahimovic set off the opening fireworks with an expertly taken scissor kick but France’s defenders will surely be scratching their heads over how their allowed the big Swede to stroll into the box completely unchallenged.
The second goal showed France had not learnt the error of their ways as Sebastian Larsson also took advantage of some slack defending to allow the Swedes to exit the competition rueing missed chances but with their pride intact.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 8Latest News Bulletin
- 9French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 10Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 11Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 14Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 15‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 16At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 17Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 18Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 19Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 20Tsipras says if Greeks approve the EU’s aid plan, Syriza will resign
Wires > Sport
- 08:58 CET Doyle doing well in Denver, hopes for Ireland call
- 08:29 CET Japan boosts 2020 logo defence, Belgian designer may take action
- 07:14 CET Beijing says is safe choice for 2022 winter Games
- 04:19 CET IOC kicks off proceedings for 2022 winter Games host vote
- 03:11 CET Not so hard for ‘Big Easy’ after kidney stone worries
- 00:45 CET Rio de Janeiro beefs up security with Olympics a year away
- 00:21 CET No deal done to back Platini says CONCACAF powerbroker
- 00:13 CET Zico’s FIFA bid gets lukewarm backing from CBF