For some sections of the French press, victory over Sweden should have been a formality but Laurent Blanc’s 23-game unbeaten record always looked in danger against a side that finally showed itself to be solid and a little spectacular.
Zlatan Ibrahimovic set off the opening fireworks with an expertly taken scissor kick but France’s defenders will surely be scratching their heads over how their allowed the big Swede to stroll into the box completely unchallenged.
The second goal showed France had not learnt the error of their ways as Sebastian Larsson also took advantage of some slack defending to allow the Swedes to exit the competition rueing missed chances but with their pride intact.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Spain’s first case of diphtheria in 30 years: parents of six-year-old ‘oppose vaccines’
- 3Greek debt crisis is “absolute supremacy of capital over humans”
- 4[Live updates] NGO flotilla bids to break Israeli blockade of Gaza
- 5[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 6Large Hadron Collider ready to embark on an unprecedented voyage of discovery
- 7Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 8[LIVE UPDATES] France: man decapitated, several wounded in chemical plant attack
- 9Israel prepares to repel boarders as ‘Freedom Flotilla 3’ tries to run Gaza blockade
- 10NewsWires : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 11Greek debt summit – Live updates
- 12‘Distractingly sexy’ scientists hit back in lab chemistry polemic
- 13Summit up in Brussels as Greek proposals give food for thought and rumours fly
- 14Battle of Waterloo, live-tweeting 200 years on
- 15Greek PM faces day of crucial bailout talks in Brussels
- 16Citizens take power in Spain’s largest cities as a political revolution sweeps the country
- 17Italy discovers biggest illegal waste dump in Europe
- 18Greek banks, stock exchange will not open on Monday, Tsipras announces
- 19Greek debt: who will pay if Greece fails?
- 20Hungary: billboard war sparks international concern
Wires > Sport
- 23:20 CET Clarke hails Harris as one of the best
- 21:59 CET Lauda swapped trophies for free car washes
- 20:47 CET Melissa Reid no longer a rebel with a cause
- 20:43 CET Button has little to smile about at Silverstone
- 18:48 CET Historic moment for Africa as Teklehaimanot starts Tour
- 17:53 CET Cilic wins battle of Wimbledon’s marathon men
- 17:40 CET South Africa start build-up to Twenty20 World Cup
- 17:05 CET Spoils go to Viktor as Brown exits Wimbledon