With polls due to open in less than 24 hours, leftwing Syriza and the conservative New Democracy party are level-pegging in the race to win the election in Greece.
The vote is being seen as a crucial indicator for the country’s future within the eurozone.
Syriza leader Alexis Tsipras is the most likely candidate for the next prime minister of Greece.
Although his party does not want to abandon the single-currency, it does reject the harsh austerity that comes with accepting the 130 billion euro bailout the country desperately needs.
German Chancellor Angela Merkel has warned there will be no renegotiation of the terms.
Antonis Samaras’s New Democracy took part in the agreement of the original bailout deal with the EU, IMF and European Central Bank back in February. Samaras is promising to “find common ground” on the agreement, whilst making modifications to ease the pain for Greece.
Far-right party Golden Dawn are hoping to build on their popularity after the inconclusive May 6 election saw them take nearly seven percent of the vote and win 21 seats.
Greece’s eurozone partners are hoping this election will produce a stable government, that will stick to the bailout deal and the euro – preventing a crisis.
Latest world news
Iran election: ‘Victory’ for allies of reformist Rouhani
Trump jokes about protest in California
Air strikes and shelling cause more deaths in Aleppo
Kenya burns over a hundred tons of elephant tusks and calls for a worldwide ban on ivory sales
Norwegian helicopter crash victims all presumed dead
Wires > News
- 10:38 CET Bomb in Baghdad suburb kills at least 13 – police sources
- 09:58 CET Thailand jails nine activists charged with sedition, computer…
- 09:13 CET China denies Hong Kong visit request by U.S. carrier group -…
- 01:51 CET Oil rig helicopter crashes off Norway coast, 13 presumed dead
- 00:44 CET Six-storey building collapses as floods hit Kenyan capital, three…
- 00:10 CET Britain praises Cuba’s Castro for embracing realities of modernity
- 23:29 CET ‘Monstrous’ violence in Syria as government excludes Aleppo from…
- 23:12 CET Russian fighter did barrel roll over U.S. reconnaissance plane -…