Germany will do all it can to fight the eurozone debt crisis but Berlin cannot solve the bloc’s problem’s alone, Chancellor Angela Merkel said on Thursday.
She told the lower house of parliament that Germany is “the engine of growth and anchor of stability in Europe” but that its “strength is not unlimited.”
Merkel also said that the best solution to balancing government books across the EU is a mixed policy favouring both growth and austerity, rather than a simple choice between one or the other.
“We have always in mind that strengthening of growth and budget consolidation need to go hand in hand. By the way within all the programmes approved by the troika, it is these two pillars that belong together in the management of the crisis in Europe – and both of them are essential,” she said.
US Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner has also backed Germany’s call for EU wide structural reforms.
Speaking in Washington yesterday, he highlighted the bloc’s main priorities ahead of next week’s G20 summit.
“What Germany is saying is (that) to make monetary union work, (they’re) prepared to put a substantial commitment of resources behind this broader endeavour,” Geithner said.
“But for that to work, (it) needs to be in support of reforms and changes in the institution … and that is a very reasonable position.”
EU leaders are under pressure to unveil some of their plans at the G20 summit in Mexico as the continent’s economic woes continue to drag on growth around the world.
The two-day meeting starts on Monday – a day after the Greek elections that could determine whether the country remains inside the 17 nation currency union.
- 13D, 360° virtual reality is ready to launch – on an adult film
- 2French Riviera declared ‘disaster zone’ after deadly flash floods
- 3Migrant crisis: Hungary poised to shut unofficial border crossings with Croatia
- 4Russian air strike hits terrorist training camp in Syria, say defence officials
- 5Refugees tell of ISIL brutality which forced them to leave Syria
- 1Pope Francis kisses hands of Holocaust survivors
- 2Exclusive: shipwatchers chart Russian hardware heading into Med
- 3NASA discovers evidence of “liquid briny water” flowing on Mars
- 4France claims Russian jets have struck rebel, not IS forces in Homs
- 53D, 360° virtual reality is ready to launch – on an adult film
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Syrian refugee tripped by shamed camera woman is named
- 3Hungarian camera woman caught on video kicking and tripping migrants could face jail
- 4Hungarian reporter who tripped migrants apologises for her actions
- 5NASA discovers evidence of “liquid briny water” flowing on Mars
- 6Latest News Bulletin
- 7At least 220 dead in stampede outside Mecca, Saudi Arabia reports
- 8International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 9What the top tweets worldwide are saying about #refugees
- 10Why aren’t rich Gulf states welcoming Syrian refugees… or are they?
- 11Hungarian camerawoman fired after being filmed kicking migrants
- 12Which European countries offer the most social benefits to migrants?
- 13Denmark: launches anti-migrant ad campaign
- 14Why aren’t rich Gulf states welcoming Syrian refugees…or are they?
- 15Spain: Catalan President faces ‘civil disobedience’ charges over breakaway vote
- 16Banzai back in the vocabulary as Japan passes law allowing combat deployments
- 17Exclusive: shipwatchers chart Russian hardware heading into Med
- 18International news | euronews, latest international news
- 19Migrant tripped up in Hungary gets Spanish football job
- 20[Live] All the Rugby World Cup news in one place
Latest world news
Air France violence puts spotlight on airline’s performance
Pollution concerns as vessels collide in North Sea
Turks abroad get ready to vote in key general election
Hungary’s Muslims and Jews see no problem taking in refugees
West Bank clashes intensify between Palestinians and Israeli forces
Wires > News
- 17:35 CET West, Ukraine, hail rebel decision to postpone disputed elections
- 17:33 CET Islamic State claims suicide attacks on Yemeni government, Gulf…
- 17:29 CET Baby, maternal deaths soar in Sierra Leone on Ebola fear -…
- 17:28 CET Bosnian court jails four over recruitment of militants for Syria
- 17:27 CET Italy to begin relocating Eritrean refugees this week
- 16:54 CET Indian capital plans to help trafficking victims with training…
- 16:47 CET Spanish judge seizes passport of ex-IMF chief Rato in fraud probe
- 16:39 CET Church should shun derogatory words on gays, Vatican synod told