Three losing candidates from the first round of Egypt’s presidential election say there were widespread irregularities in last month’s vote.
Third-placed Hamdeen Sabahy, fourth-placed Abdel Moneim Abol Fotouh and seventh-placed Khaled Ali said on Monday that they want to form a presidential council to lead the country.
Protester Mohammed Khairy said it was a “very wise idea”.
“We do not agree with the way that the election had been conducted, which is completely contrary to all of our views”, he explained.
The three candidates allege that some 1.5 million ballots were rendered void.
Leftist Hamdeen Sabahy has launched a legal challenge to suspend the whole election and force a re-run.
The June 16th-17th run-off pits Hosni Mubarak’s last prime minister, Ahmed Shafiq, against the Muslim Brotherhood’s Mohammed Mursi.