Flags flew at half mast across Italy on Monday as a mark of respect for those who died in two earthquakes last month.
The Emilia Romagna region was struck by two tremors: one on May 20th and another on May 29th.
Together, they claimed more than 20 lives and forced some 14,000 people to leave their homes.
Aftershocks have rippled throughout the area over the past week Local officials have defiantly vowed to rebuild affected towns as soon as possible.
“We will not surrender to this quake. The situation is very complicated, very difficult,” said the region’s president, Vasco Errani.
“The people are suffering huge problems, but we’re doing an effort to help them as we can and, at the same time, to keep working for the upcoming reconstruction”.
The two quakes have caused some five billion euros of damage.
EU Commissioner for Regional Policy Johannes Hahn said on Sunday that money from the bloc’s Solidarity Fund could be used to help the clean-up efforts if Rome requests aid.