Thousands of Egyptians poured into the streets of Cairo after former President Hosni Mubarak was sentenced on Saturday.
Some celebrated, but for those who want the ousted leader executed, the outcome is difficult to accept.
There is also anger that six security officials have been acquitted and that Mubarak’s sons have been cleared of corruption charges.
“Mubarak will file an appeal and his interior minister will do the same. But above all, the acquittal of Mubarak’s sons? This decision has been made by a corrupt authoritarian regime,” said one man who joined crowds outside the court.
Another added: “We object to the court’s decisions. It is not fair and it is not enough for the thousands of martyrs and those who were wounded. This outcome
will not satisfy anyone.”
Crowds also gathered in Cairo’s Tahrir Square, the epicentre of last year’s uprising that drove Mubarak from office.
“I don’t understand why the court decided to acquit the assistants of the interior minister. Why is the blood of the martyrs so cheap? We have lost our rights,” said one tearful woman.
“The decisions made by the court against former president Hosni Mubarak and his aides are not living up to the expectations of Egyptians,” said euronews correspondent Riad Muasses, who is in Cairo.
“They are now demanding that new trials take place.”
Get a different perspective
Every story can be told in many ways: see the perspectives from Euronews journalists in our other language teams.