At least three Serbs and a NATO soldier have reportedly been wounded in a gunfight in northern Kosovo.
Violence flared after peacekeepers tried to dismantle Serb roadblocks, near the town of Zvecan, around 60 kilometres from Pristina.
NATO troops apparently fired tear gas and small arms after their armoured vehicles were pelted with stones. Protesters are then said to have responded with handguns.
Roadblocks have been set up by Serbs in a bid to stop Kosovar and EU authorities from taking control of the border with Serbia.
Tomislav Nikolic, Serbia’s freshly inaugurated nationalist president, said again this week that he would never recognise Kosovo as an independent state – even if that means losing out on EU membership.
Kosovo declared independence from Serbia in 2008. The move has been recognised by 90 countries, including the United States and 22 of the EU’s 27 member states.
- 1Incredible scenes in the Turkish parliament
- 2Denmark extends controls on German border, EU set to allow more Schengen exceptions
- 3Three Earth-like planets found outside the Solar System
- 4Palestinians condemn Eurovision Song Contest for flag ban
- 5Rebels launch surprise attack on Aleppo – Syrian state TV
Latest world news
Aleppo – hopes a truce is only “hours away”
TTIP: French president Hollande says France will say no to EU-US trade deal “at this stage”
Rebels launch surprise attack on Aleppo – Syrian state TV
Spain arrests four men allegedly behind on-line Islamist Radicalisation plot
Probe indicates falsified documents in Flamanville nuclear plant construction
Wires > News
- 17:47 CET Tajik Islamists’ lawyer goes on trial on fraud, extremism charges
- 17:41 CET As U.S. rotates generals in Europe, job is prevent new ‘Cold War’
- 17:33 CET Niger tells Europe it needs 1 billion euros to fight illegal…
- 17:32 CET West Africa pirates switch to kidnapping crew as oil fetches less
- 17:29 CET Islamic State kills U.S. serviceman in northern Iraq
- 17:23 CET Rebels launch assault in Syria’s Aleppo, diplomats strain to…
- 16:52 CET Turkish Nobel laureate says Erdogan’s insult charges aimed at…
- 16:40 CET Canada’s government has trouble detecting citizenship fraud -…