31/05/12 13:43 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
On the two-year anniversary of the storming of the Mavi Marmara by the Israeli military, the Turkish vessel welcomed visitors onboard to show off its repairs.
Nine Turkish activists were killed as the flotilla tried to deliver aid to Gaza on 31 May 2010.
Mavi Marmara will attempt to get supplies to Palestinians in Gaza again, according to Bulent Yildirim, Head of the IHH humanitarian organisation that led the previous mission.
“As you can see Mavi Marmara has been renovated and repaired. Everything has changed. This is not for nothing. We increased its capacity, and we will go again god willing,” he said.
Some of those inspecting the improvements and repairs were activists on the original journey in 2010.
During the week, a Turkish court approved an indictment seeking multiple life sentences for four Israeli commanders over their alleged involvement
in the deadly raid. The length of the sentences called for range from 8,000-18,000 years for each commander.
A UN report released in September 2011 found that although the Israeli commandos were justified in using force for their own protection, the way the boat was stormed was unreasonable and excessive.
Following the UN report, Ankara expelled Israel’s ambassador and froze military cooperation.
Jerusalem has not commented on the indictment.
Latest world news
Iran election: ‘Victory’ for allies of reformist Rouhani
Trump jokes about protest in California
Air strikes and shelling cause more deaths in Aleppo
Kenya burns over a hundred tons of elephant tusks and calls for a worldwide ban on ivory sales
Norwegian helicopter crash victims all presumed dead
Wires > News
- 10:38 CET Bomb in Baghdad suburb kills at least 13 – police sources
- 09:58 CET Thailand jails nine activists charged with sedition, computer…
- 09:13 CET China denies Hong Kong visit request by U.S. carrier group -…
- 01:51 CET Oil rig helicopter crashes off Norway coast, 13 presumed dead
- 00:44 CET Six-storey building collapses as floods hit Kenyan capital, three…
- 00:10 CET Britain praises Cuba’s Castro for embracing realities of modernity
- 23:29 CET ‘Monstrous’ violence in Syria as government excludes Aleppo from…
- 23:12 CET Russian fighter did barrel roll over U.S. reconnaissance plane -…