On the two-year anniversary of the storming of the Mavi Marmara by the Israeli military, the Turkish vessel welcomed visitors onboard to show off its repairs.
Nine Turkish activists were killed as the flotilla tried to deliver aid to Gaza on 31 May 2010.
Mavi Marmara will attempt to get supplies to Palestinians in Gaza again, according to Bulent Yildirim, Head of the IHH humanitarian organisation that led the previous mission.
“As you can see Mavi Marmara has been renovated and repaired. Everything has changed. This is not for nothing. We increased its capacity, and we will go again god willing,” he said.
Some of those inspecting the improvements and repairs were activists on the original journey in 2010.
During the week, a Turkish court approved an indictment seeking multiple life sentences for four Israeli commanders over their alleged involvement
in the deadly raid. The length of the sentences called for range from 8,000-18,000 years for each commander.
A UN report released in September 2011 found that although the Israeli commandos were justified in using force for their own protection, the way the boat was stormed was unreasonable and excessive.
Following the UN report, Ankara expelled Israel’s ambassador and froze military cooperation.
Jerusalem has not commented on the indictment.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Algeria: ISIL offshoot releases video threatening French hostage Hervé Gourdel
- 2Algeria: Frenchman ‘kidnapped by ISIL splinter group’ appears in video
- 3Iraq: Baghdad rally held against US ‘occupiers’
- 4Poroshenko declares war in east Ukraine “impossible to win by military means alone”
- 5Greece: homeless people lead tours of Athens’ back streets and alleys
- 1[As it happened] Still United Kingdom: Scottish voters reject independence
- 2Watch: Angry mob throw Ukraine MP into rubbish bin
- 3Ukraine: Donetsk rebel weapons factory blows up
- 4France launches initial airstrikes against IS and promises more to come
- 5Air France pilots to continue strike over low-cost plans
- 1Podemos: Spanish indignation in Brussels’ corridors of power | euronews, reporter
- 2Israel announces it will seize 400 acres in West Bank | euronews, world news
- 3Watch: Angry mob throw Ukraine MP into rubbish bin | euronews, world news
- 4Japan sounds bluefin warning, calls for 50% catch cut | euronews, world news
- 5Hoverbike on the horizon | euronews, hi-tech
- 6Iraq: Baghdad rally held against US ‘occupiers’ | euronews, world news
- 7China executes eight Muslims convicted of terrorism | euronews, world news
- 8New car offers freedom for disabled drivers | euronews, hi-tech
- 93D printing: a driving force in design and engineering | euronews, hi-tech
- 10Rise of the machines | euronews, futuris
- 11Ukraine accuses Russian aid convoy of stealing factory equipment | euronews, world news
- 12Young Yazidi girl escapes Islamic State kidnappers | euronews, world news
- 13Ukraine: Donetsk rebel weapons factory blows up | euronews, world news
- 14EU leaders name Donald Tusk European Council president | euronews, world news
- 15The business benefits of EU chemical regulation | euronews, business planet
- 16#Indyref Live: Scotland votes on independence from UK | euronews, world news
- 17Canada sends hilarious barb to Russia over Ukraine ‘incursions’ | euronews, world news
- 18Official ‘executed by flame-thrower’ over links to Kim Jong-un’s purged uncle | euronews, world news
- 19Thousands of Catalans call for choice on split from Spain | euronews, world news
- 20Iceland puts on a show as two of its volcanoes spew out lava | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 07:47 CET China court sentences Uighur scholar to life in prison for…
- 07:30 CET Israeli troops kill Hamas men blamed for slaying teens – army
- 07:28 CET U.S., Arab partners launch first strikes on IS in Syria
- 07:26 CET China court sentences Uighur scholar to life in prison for…
- 07:24 CET Sultan seen setting risky precedent in Malaysia opposition crisis
- 07:19 CET U.S., Iran seek common ground against militants, but doubts persist
- 04:55 CET About 100 climate protesters arrested in march on Wall Street
- 04:07 CET India’s Modi to get rock star reception in New York