31/05/12 13:43 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
On the two-year anniversary of the storming of the Mavi Marmara by the Israeli military, the Turkish vessel welcomed visitors onboard to show off its repairs.
Nine Turkish activists were killed as the flotilla tried to deliver aid to Gaza on 31 May 2010.
Mavi Marmara will attempt to get supplies to Palestinians in Gaza again, according to Bulent Yildirim, Head of the IHH humanitarian organisation that led the previous mission.
“As you can see Mavi Marmara has been renovated and repaired. Everything has changed. This is not for nothing. We increased its capacity, and we will go again god willing,” he said.
Some of those inspecting the improvements and repairs were activists on the original journey in 2010.
During the week, a Turkish court approved an indictment seeking multiple life sentences for four Israeli commanders over their alleged involvement
in the deadly raid. The length of the sentences called for range from 8,000-18,000 years for each commander.
A UN report released in September 2011 found that although the Israeli commandos were justified in using force for their own protection, the way the boat was stormed was unreasonable and excessive.
Following the UN report, Ankara expelled Israel’s ambassador and froze military cooperation.
Jerusalem has not commented on the indictment.
Latest world news
Public sector strike heightens industrial strife in Belgium
Migrant death toll in Mediterranean over past week ‘rises to 880’
EgyptAir crash: doomed plane’s distress signal ‘picked up by satellites’
World No Tobacco Day: Plain packaging push to help smokers kick the habit
Brazil anti-corruption minister quits after ‘trying to spoil’ corruption probe
Wires > News
- 15:55 CET French court rules woman can use dead husband’s sperm
- 15:54 CET Libyan security forces pushing Islamic State back from vicinity of…
- 15:38 CET Italy arrests 16 suspected boat migrant traffickers
- 15:32 CET Almost 46 million people trapped in slavery with North Korea…
- 15:25 CET More Germans now moving from West to East
- 15:23 CET EU ships in Libyan waters would undermine Tripoli government -…
- 15:10 CET Former Miss Turkey sentenced to 14-months jail for insulting…
- 15:02 CET German minister says shouldn’t discuss ‘fantasy proposals’ for…