29/05/12 12:13 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Scientists have found bluefin tuna off the coast of California that have been contaminated by radiation from Japan’s Fukushima nuclear plant.
According to findings published in the US journal Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, it is the first time huge migrating fish have been shown to carry radioactivity such a large distance.
Although the levels of caesium have increased 10 times, the fish are still considered safe to eat in line with American and Japanese regulations.
The Japanese government said it would keep on top of the situation:
“We haven’t really got hold the research paper on this migrant tuna off the southern coast of California fish yet. We anticipate having to deal with the monitoring of international fish product supplies, but we need to gather more information before looking at how to deal with this issue,” said Cabinet Secretary Osamu Fujimura.
A magnitude nine earthquake triggered a tsunami that damaged Japan’s Fukushima plant in March 2011.
Smaller fish and plankton have been found with elevated levels of radiation in Japanese waters.
Latest world news
Labour election losses in Scotland deliver big blow to Corbyn
US House Speaker Paul Ryan ‘not ready’ to back Trump
Turkey: Davutoglu departure raises concerns over authoritarianism
Deadly flare-up in violence as Israel finds Gaza tunnel
Evacuations increase as wildfire spreads in Alberta, Canada
Wires > News
- 08:10 CET Rebels capture village near Aleppo, 73 killed – monitor
- 08:04 CET China, Kazakhstan sign $2 billion in deals as Xinjiang party boss…
- 07:49 CET Singapore, Australia expand military cooperation in A$2.25 billion…
- 07:44 CET Exclusive – Top reason Americans will vote for Trump: ‘To stop…
- 07:40 CET China says South China Sea criticism will rebound like a coiled…
- 07:32 CET Greeks strike as new tax, pension reforms loom
- 07:02 CET Australia to compensate charity wrongly accused over refugees‘…
- 03:57 CET Air strikes hit camp in Syria, U.S. condemns Assad statement