26/05/12 00:13 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Spain’s Bankia group asked the government for a 19 billion euro bailout on Friday. The lender was nationalised earlier this month. Madrid now owns a 45 per cent stake.
Bankia is struggling to plug a hole in its balance sheet because it holds some 32 billion euros of bad loans or toxic assets linked to the country’s real estate sector.
Rating agency Standard and Poors cut its credit rating to junk on Friday, citing Spain’s weakening economy.
Trading in the group’s shares were suspended on Friday as executives discussed how much aid the lender needs.
Bankia stock has halved in value since its market debut last July. The bank posted losses of three billion euros in 2011.
Spanish Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy and Socialist opposition leader Alfredo Perez Rubalcaba met late Friday to discuss how to deal with the country’s weak banks.
But the cost of rescuing them could overwhelm government finances. Spain’s public purse is already strained by plunging tax revenues caused by a deep recession and an unemployment rate of nearly 25 percent.
- 1Italian actor Bud Spencer dies at 86
- 2What will Brexit mean for EU migrants to the UK and British expats?
- 3Lionel Messi retires from international football
- 4Paris and Berlin agree on a strategy following Britain’s shock exit vote
- 5Iceland’s new President Gudni Johannesson off to France for the football
Latest world news
US college basketball loses coaching legend: Pat Summitt dies, aged 64
IKEA recalls millions of chests and dressers following link to children’s deaths
France: deadly fire engulfs chemical plant near Lyon
At least 28 people reported killed and 60 wounded in suicide bomb attacks on Istanbul’s Ataturk airport
Thousands protest in France as Senate approves controversial labour law
Wires > News
- 00:12 CET Clinton leads Trump by 11 points in U.S. presidential race -…
- 00:09 CET Canada presses China over reports of Hong Kong visa clamp down
- 23:44 CET Exclusive – Trump supporters more likely to view blacks…
- 23:11 CET Women subjected to torture by Mexican police, armed forces – report
- 23:07 CET Dutch PM Rutte wants ‘legally binding’ assurances over Ukraine…
- 23:01 CET Emergency call log details horror of Orlando nightclub shooting
- 22:55 CET Panel’s report reignites debate over Clinton and Benghazi
- 22:29 CET Exclusive – U.S. to upgrade Thailand in annual human trafficking…