Ukraine’s parliamentary speaker has cancelled Friday’s session after the row over use of the Russian language rumbled on for a second day.
Thursday’s session ended in blows after fights broke out between politicians who want to preserve Ukrainian and those who favour Russian being recognised as an official language.
Outside the parliament in Kiev, Ukrainian-language activists protested to keep the Russian-language bill from becoming law – which would make it equal to Ukrainian in 13 out of 27 regions.
“Those who could possibly speak Ukrainian won’t bother to learn it, there’ll be no need to study Ukrainian in schools and universities, because Russian will be enough. As a result, the Ukrainian language will be marginalised,” said Kateryna Chepura from the Civil movement Vidsich.
The proposal comes from President Viktor Yanukovich’s Party of Regions, which has a lot of support in Russian-speaking areas.
Party member Vadym Kolesnichenko defended the bill:
“The draft law is based on peace and stability in our country. Of course far-right and far-left are not satisfied with it, because some want Russian to be the one official language, the others – Ukrainian. We think that Ukraine is a multi-language and polyethnic state.”
Some argue that Ukraine could become divided and accuse Yanukovich of stirring up trouble ahead of parliamentary elections in October.
- 1Death toll after Nepal earthquake climbs to more than 1,900
- 2Russian pro-Putin bikers set off on controversial “Victory Ride” to Berlin
- 3Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist
- 4Fire and brimstone show EU deal is close, Varoufakis tells euronews
- 5Nepal earthquake: aid offers pour in as death toll climbs by the minute
- 1Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist
- 2Unverified video appears to show ISIL killing of 30 Ethiopian Christians
- 3US Navy deploys two more warships near Yemen as conflict escalates
- 4Ethiopia: Clashes at rally to mourn Christians killed by ISIL in Libya
- 5Fire and brimstone show EU deal is close, Varoufakis tells euronews
- 1Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 3Chomsky – a rebel with a cause | euronews, world news
- 4Anti-ISIL demonstrations turn violent in Ethiopia | euronews, no comment
- 5The migrants tragedy in the Mediterranean sparks creative satirical response | euronews, world news
- 6Europe is ‘bluffing’ over Greece-Russia relations – analyst | euronews, news
- 7French Alps plane crash treated as suicide and mass murder by co-pilot | euronews, world news
- 8Woman carries can of water on her head along Paris marathon | euronews, world news
- 9Former IMF chief ‘under investigation for money laundering’ | euronews, world news
- 10International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 11Pope Francis washes Rome prisoners’ feet on Holy Thursday | euronews, world news
- 12ECB chief Mario Draghi unhurt after protest during speech | euronews, world news
- 13International news | euronews, latest international news
- 14eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 15Portuguese researchers discover the secret of Mind Control | euronews, futuris
- 16Indonesia executes five foreigners despite protest | euronews, world news
- 17French prosecutor: Germanwings co-pilot appears to have crashed plane deliberately | euronews, world news
- 18International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 19Fighting Boko Haram: Chad aims to ‘destroy’ militant group | euronews, world news
- 20Energy-generating clothes and smart lights join the Internet of Things | euronews, hi-tech
Wires > News
- 12:48 CET Malaysia foils attacks in capital by suspected militants
- 12:18 CET Egypt’s trial of Mursi ‘badly flawed’ – Human Rights Watch
- 12:16 CET Turkish Cypriots pick new leader ahead of planned peace talks
- 12:05 CET One more Ukrainian serviceman killed in rebel attacks – Ukraine…
- 11:56 CET Syrian TV says insurgents killed civilians after capturing town
- 11:25 CET Nepalese dig for quake survivors as toll exceeds 2,200, big…
- 06:58 CET Obama pokes fun at political friends and foes at White House dinner
- 06:40 CET U.S. official denies report of Islamic State plot in California