NATO leaders are beginning a two day summit in Chicago on Sunday with the US pressuring members to stay the course in Afghanistan.
While NATO troops are expected to withdraw from the war-torn country in 2014, France’s new leader Francois Hollande plans to pull his combat troops this year.
Meanwhile Russian concerns about NATO’s new missile defense shield still linger which the head of the military alliance was keen to dispel.
“The fact is that it’s not directed against Russia. Technically it’ is not designed to attack Russia,” said Anders Fogh Rasmussen, NATO Secretary-General.
“We have offered them concrete cooperation and told them that the best way they could get an insurance, a real insurance would be to engage in an active cooperation and see with their own eyes that the system is not directed against them,” added Rasmussen.
A big rally is due to get underway later near the Convention centre in downtown Chicago where world leaders are gathering.
Around 10,000 demonstrators are expected to join the march. The Coalition against G8 and NATO are demanding that leaders put people before profits.
So far, protests have stayed mostly peaceful. Police have made several arrests over the past week. Officials say their strategy has been to prevent anarchist troublemakers from disrupting the protests.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Heavy fighting in Donetsk; possible mass grave discovered
- 2Catalan independence put on hold: constitutional court suspends vote
- 3Migrant deaths in Mediterranean reach a record 3,072 in 2014
- 4Red alert in southern France as heavy rains sweep Languedoc region
- 5Spain: Constitutional court votes to suspend Catalonia independence referendum
- 1Algeria: ISIL offshoot releases video threatening French hostage Hervé Gourdel
- 2Update: Emma Watson nude photos threat may be elaborate PR stunt
- 3Iceland volcano ‘pollutes Paris’
- 4Teenage ‘terror suspect’ shot dead by police in Australia after attacking officers
- 5Watch: Leonardo DiCaprio speech among five must-see clips on UN climate summit
- 1Podemos: Spanish indignation in Brussels’ corridors of power | euronews, reporter
- 2Watch: Angry mob throw Ukraine MP into rubbish bin | euronews, world news
- 3Iraq: Baghdad rally held against US ‘occupiers’ | euronews, world news
- 4New car offers freedom for disabled drivers | euronews, hi-tech
- 5Now is ‘right time’ for Catalonia independence vote, says Mas | euronews, world news
- 6Israel announces it will seize 400 acres in West Bank | euronews, world news
- 73D printing: a driving force in design and engineering | euronews, hi-tech
- 8Rise of the machines | euronews, futuris
- 9Ukraine: Donetsk rebel weapons factory blows up | euronews, world news
- 10Young Yazidi girl escapes Islamic State kidnappers | euronews, world news
- 11Vatican rocked by another paedophilia scandal | euronews, world news
- 12Two container ships collide on Egypt’s Suez Canal | euronews, no comment
- 13Algeria: ISIL offshoot releases video threatening French hostage Hervé Gourdel | euronews, world news
- 14#Indyref Live: Scotland votes on independence from UK | euronews, world news
- 15Thousands ‘evade’ Ebola lockdown in Sierra Leone | euronews, world news
- 16British Muslims’ message to ISIL: Not in my name! | euronews, world news
- 17Iceland puts on a show as two of its volcanoes spew out lava | euronews, world news
- 18The business benefits of EU chemical regulation | euronews, business planet
- 19Iceland volcano ‘pollutes Paris’ | euronews, world news
- 20Emma Watson threatened with naked photos leak after UN equality speech | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 18:14 CET Car bomb kills 11 in Shi’ite Baghdad neighbourhood- police, medics
- 18:09 CET Israel’s Netanyahu tells Obama that Iran can’t be allowed to reach…
- 17:38 CET Austria says Eurofighter has part problem, some deliveries halted
- 17:20 CET EU-Russia gas duel deepens with Slovakia supply cut
- 17:16 CET Nazi hunters seek German probe of WW2 death squad suspects
- 17:11 CET Experts question two-day delay in admitting Texas Ebola patient
- 17:10 CET World Bank chief says Ebola outbreak shows harm of inequality
- 16:47 CET France defies EU partners with ‘no austerity’ budget