NATO leaders are beginning a two day summit in Chicago on Sunday with the US pressuring members to stay the course in Afghanistan.
While NATO troops are expected to withdraw from the war-torn country in 2014, France’s new leader Francois Hollande plans to pull his combat troops this year.
Meanwhile Russian concerns about NATO’s new missile defense shield still linger which the head of the military alliance was keen to dispel.
“The fact is that it’s not directed against Russia. Technically it’ is not designed to attack Russia,” said Anders Fogh Rasmussen, NATO Secretary-General.
“We have offered them concrete cooperation and told them that the best way they could get an insurance, a real insurance would be to engage in an active cooperation and see with their own eyes that the system is not directed against them,” added Rasmussen.
A big rally is due to get underway later near the Convention centre in downtown Chicago where world leaders are gathering.
Around 10,000 demonstrators are expected to join the march. The Coalition against G8 and NATO are demanding that leaders put people before profits.
So far, protests have stayed mostly peaceful. Police have made several arrests over the past week. Officials say their strategy has been to prevent anarchist troublemakers from disrupting the protests.
- 1Incredible scenes in the Turkish parliament
- 2Denmark extends controls on German border, EU set to allow more Schengen exceptions
- 3Three Earth-like planets found outside the Solar System
- 4Palestinians condemn Eurovision Song Contest for flag ban
- 5Rebels launch surprise attack on Aleppo – Syrian state TV
Latest world news
Women ‘tortured and murdered’ in German ‘House of Horrors’
French parliament debates controversial labour laws as street protests grow
Presidential hopefuls Trump and Clinton shape up as they head for the November 8 showdown
Aleppo – hopes a truce is only “hours away”
TTIP: French president Hollande says France will say no to EU-US trade deal “at this stage”
Wires > News
- 21:53 CET Proposed Irish government to prioritise spending over tax cuts -…
- 20:56 CET Liberian presidential candidate Weah’s lawyers to go to U.S. over…
- 20:30 CET EU executive to propose reforming asylum system
- 19:57 CET Kenya says arrests key member of militant group plotting attacks
- 19:48 CET MSF slams major U.N. powers over hospital attacks
- 19:47 CET Israeli who abducted, killed Palestinian teen gets life term
- 19:22 CET Exclusive – Differences over missile defence, fine print snag…
- 19:05 CET Islamic State kills U.S. Navy SEAL in northern Iraq