US actor Sean Penn has held a fundraiser at the Cannes Film Festival to raise money for survivors of the Haiti earthquake.
More than 200,000 people were killed in the 2010 disaster and millions more were displaced.
Hollywood favourites Ben Stiller, Ewan McGregor and Gerald Butler turned up for Penn’s benefit dinner. Guests were treated to performances from Haitian dancers and musicians. Among the items up for auction was a meet and greet with U2’s Bono.
Oscar winning Penn, who has spent a lot of time raising awareness about the earthquake’s devastation, has slammed world leaders for abandoning the country.
He called on US President Barack Obama to meet Haiti’s new leader to discuss further aid projects.
The charity night raised 1.3 million euros.
- 1Dozens are killed and wounded in multiple suicide bomb attacks on Istanbul’s Ataturk airport
- 2Italian actor Bud Spencer dies at 86
- 3Suspected ISIL bombers kill 36 and wound dozens at Istanbul airport
- 4Terror in Turkey: attack at Ataturk airport leaves 41 dead and scores injured
- 5Feisty Farage tells MEPs ‘You’re not laughing now’
Wires > News
- 22:57 CET U.S., Russia discuss Syria cooperation if Assad halts some strikes
- 22:35 CET U.S.-backed rebel group vows new attacks against IS after border…
- 22:33 CET Italy elected to U.N. council for 2017 in deal with Netherlands
- 22:10 CET U.S. lawmakers push for action on human rights in Bahrain
- 21:59 CET Saudi Arabia ‘alarmed and outraged’ by rights groups’ criticism
- 21:47 CET Argentina, Peru seek closer energy ties with Chile
- 21:35 CET Nigeria’s Buhari urges Delta leaders to calm region after attacks
- 21:27 CET Trump raises questions about Bill Clinton meeting amid probe