US actor Sean Penn has held a fundraiser at the Cannes Film Festival to raise money for survivors of the Haiti earthquake.
More than 200,000 people were killed in the 2010 disaster and millions more were displaced.
Hollywood favourites Ben Stiller, Ewan McGregor and Gerald Butler turned up for Penn’s benefit dinner. Guests were treated to performances from Haitian dancers and musicians. Among the items up for auction was a meet and greet with U2’s Bono.
Oscar winning Penn, who has spent a lot of time raising awareness about the earthquake’s devastation, has slammed world leaders for abandoning the country.
He called on US President Barack Obama to meet Haiti’s new leader to discuss further aid projects.
The charity night raised 1.3 million euros.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1European Commission presidency candidates to go head-to-head in first debate
- 2Russia: Politician’s extraordinary tirade at pregnant journalist
- 3TV newscaster keeps calm as quake hits Mexico
- 4South Korea: Dramatic amateur footage emerges of final moments before stricken ferry capsizes
- 5Funeral for teacher hailed a hero in South Korea ferry tragedy
- 1TV newscaster keeps calm as quake hits Mexico
- 2Scientists find new Earth-sized planet that could host life
- 3South Korea: Dramatic amateur footage emerges of final moments before stricken ferry capsizes
- 4Russia: Politician’s extraordinary tirade at pregnant journalist
- 5Ukraine offers devolution as pro-Russian separatists vow to continue protests
- 1Watch April 15 total lunar eclipse live online
- 2TV newscaster keeps calm as quake hits Mexico
- 3West Africa: Doctors fight to contain Ebola outbreak
- 4Venezuela: tear gas, rubber bullets fired at protesters
- 5South Korea: Dramatic amateur footage emerges of final moments before stricken ferry capsizes
Wires > News
- 04:42 CET Malaysia Airlines plane turns back after tyre burst on takeoff
- 04:42 CET China seizure of ship could hurt Japan business – Japan spokesman
- 02:06 CET Japan PM sends offering to Yasukuni Shrine – Japanese media
- 23:27 CET Ex-army chief, leftist to run for Egyptian presidency
- 22:55 CET Italy economy minister says 2014 growth could be above 0.8 percent…
- 21:55 CET Al Qaeda kills 14 Algerian soldiers in ambush
- 21:12 CET Boston Marathon looks to emerge from shadow of 2013 bombing
- 20:04 CET Technical problems delay reopening of Libya’s Zueitina oil port -…