US actor Sean Penn has held a fundraiser at the Cannes Film Festival to raise money for survivors of the Haiti earthquake.
More than 200,000 people were killed in the 2010 disaster and millions more were displaced.
Hollywood favourites Ben Stiller, Ewan McGregor and Gerald Butler turned up for Penn’s benefit dinner. Guests were treated to performances from Haitian dancers and musicians. Among the items up for auction was a meet and greet with U2’s Bono.
Oscar winning Penn, who has spent a lot of time raising awareness about the earthquake’s devastation, has slammed world leaders for abandoning the country.
He called on US President Barack Obama to meet Haiti’s new leader to discuss further aid projects.
The charity night raised 1.3 million euros.
Latest world news
A leading German politician says the country’s mosques should come under state control
Will Michel Platini be back in charge for Euro 2016?
Air strike on Kunduz hospital ‘not a war crime’ says US military report
Lisbon is a no-go, taxis on a go-slow
The United Nations appeals to save the truce and negotiations in Syria
Wires > News
- 01:51 CET Oil rig helicopter crashes off Norway coast, 13 presumed dead
- 00:44 CET Six-storey building collapses as floods hit Kenyan capital, three…
- 00:10 CET Britain praises Cuba’s Castro for embracing realities of modernity
- 23:29 CET ‘Monstrous’ violence in Syria as government excludes Aleppo from…
- 23:12 CET Russian fighter did barrel roll over U.S. reconnaissance plane -…
- 21:30 CET China denies Hong Kong visit request by U.S. carrier group -…
- 21:14 CET Iran moderates eye more gains in run-off parliamentary election
- 20:14 CET Lavrov, Kerry discuss ways to strengthen Syria ceasefire – Russian…