US actor Sean Penn has held a fundraiser at the Cannes Film Festival to raise money for survivors of the Haiti earthquake.
More than 200,000 people were killed in the 2010 disaster and millions more were displaced.
Hollywood favourites Ben Stiller, Ewan McGregor and Gerald Butler turned up for Penn’s benefit dinner. Guests were treated to performances from Haitian dancers and musicians. Among the items up for auction was a meet and greet with U2’s Bono.
Oscar winning Penn, who has spent a lot of time raising awareness about the earthquake’s devastation, has slammed world leaders for abandoning the country.
He called on US President Barack Obama to meet Haiti’s new leader to discuss further aid projects.
The charity night raised 1.3 million euros.
- 1Leaders ‘influenced Putin’ over Savchenko release, say Ukraine pilot’s lawyers
- 2The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 3Groundbreaking study sheds light on Neanderthal life
- 4New video footage: overcrowded migrant boat capsizing
- 5Third night of riots rock Barcelona’s Gràcia district
- 1Groundbreaking study sheds light on Neanderthal life
- 2Germany: #Cutesolidarity response to Kinder chocolate controversy
- 3In the EU ‘one in three deaths of under-75s is avoidable,’ says Eurostat
- 4Germany’s carrot and stick approach to refugee integration
- 5Hero’s welcome for Ukraine pilot Nadiya Savchenko after Russia prisoner swap
Wires > News
- 07:18 CET Korean Air evacuates plane at Japan’s Haneda airport after engine…
- 07:17 CET China faces headaches from warming Vietnam-U.S. ties
- 07:09 CET Push for encryption law falters despite Apple case spotlight
- 06:58 CET Top China steel city orders mills to cut output to clear air
- 06:55 CET Speedboat crash kills three foreigners in Thailand – police
- 06:32 CET Earthquake measuring 6.3 magnitude strikes deep off Tonga – USGS
- 05:43 CET “Barking mad” Trump looms over Australian election campaign
- 05:41 CET G7 vows growth, fudges FX, frets North Korea, Russia, China