The remainder of debt-ridden Greece’s caretaker government was sworn in on Thursday.
A senior judge, Panagiotis Pikrammenos, is heading up the emergency administration, brought in after recent elections failed to bring any party to power. Pikrammenos is not able to make any political decisions.
Austerity-weary voters will head to the ballot box again next month.
Concern is rife that Greece could be forced out of the eurozone and return to the drachma.
People have been withdrawing hundreds of millions of euros from banks over recent days. However, there has been no sign of panic at banks in Athens.
The turmoil has rattled global markets and alarmed world leaders. IMF chief Christine Lagarde has warned of “extremely expensive” consequences if Greece does have to leave the eurozone.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1South Korea: Dramatic amateur footage emerges of final moments before stricken ferry capsizes
- 2Ukraine: US, Russia and EU strike deal after crisis talks
- 3Scientists find new Earth-sized planet that could host life
- 4Geneva talks defy predictions of failure but will words turn into actions?
- 5A mother’s slap signals mercy for a convicted Iranian murderer
- 1Ukrainian troops allegedly desert to join pro-Russian forces in Slavyansk
- 2As it happened : Kyiv and Moscow reach agreement on de-escalation roadmap
- 3‘Rubbish’: Putin slams claims that Russia is behind Ukraine revolt
- 4Pro-Russian activists seize Ukraine armoured vehicles
- 5Pictures and videos of April 15 lunar “Blood Moon” eclipse
Wires > News
- 16:00 CET Vice-principal of South Korea school in ferry disaster commits…
- 15:59 CET Top Hollande aide quits in conflict of interest row
- 15:19 CET Algeria’s Bouteflika set for re-election, foes cry fraud
- 15:18 CET South Sudan deploys army to guard U.N. base after attack kills…
- 13:57 CET Libyan kidnappers of Tunisian diplomat demand Islamists’ release
- 13:29 CET Turkish president rules out role swap with Erdogan
- 13:25 CET Indonesia’s ex-general Prabowo edges closer to presidential race
- 13:19 CET Italy government prepares to approve tax cuts