The remainder of debt-ridden Greece’s caretaker government was sworn in on Thursday.
A senior judge, Panagiotis Pikrammenos, is heading up the emergency administration, brought in after recent elections failed to bring any party to power. Pikrammenos is not able to make any political decisions.
Austerity-weary voters will head to the ballot box again next month.
Concern is rife that Greece could be forced out of the eurozone and return to the drachma.
People have been withdrawing hundreds of millions of euros from banks over recent days. However, there has been no sign of panic at banks in Athens.
The turmoil has rattled global markets and alarmed world leaders. IMF chief Christine Lagarde has warned of “extremely expensive” consequences if Greece does have to leave the eurozone.
- 1Saudi Arabia considers truce to allow humanitarian aid in Yemen
- 2Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin
- 3How World War II shaped modern Germany
- 4Nepal quake 700 times the power of Hiroshima bomb, says expert
- 5Twenty-seven million ‘drops of pain’ that heirs of USSR victory do not forget
- 1Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin
- 2Rescuers in China get aid through to quake-struck village on foot
- 3Two gunmen shot dead at art show featuring Mohammad cartoons in Texas
- 4Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist
- 5UK election: still too close to call, according to latest polls
- 1Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin | euronews, world news
- 2Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 3euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 4Chomsky – a rebel with a cause | euronews, world news
- 5Anti-ISIL demonstrations turn violent in Ethiopia | euronews, no comment
- 6It’s a girl: Britain’s Duchess of Cambridge gives birth in London | euronews, world news
- 7Chernobyl Children: what makes Ukrainians born in 1986 different? | euronews, world news
- 8The migrants tragedy in the Mediterranean sparks creative satirical response | euronews, world news
- 9Europe is ‘bluffing’ over Greece-Russia relations – analyst | euronews, news
- 10Woman carries can of water on her head along Paris marathon | euronews, world news
- 11How Nepal earthquake devastated Kathmandu’s UNESCO heritage | euronews, world news
- 12Former IMF chief ‘under investigation for money laundering’ | euronews, world news
- 13Portuguese researchers discover the secret of Mind Control | euronews, futuris
- 14ECB chief Mario Draghi unhurt after protest during speech | euronews, world news
- 15International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 16International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 17Andrea Ferrari: the graphene guru | euronews, science
- 18Energy-generating clothes and smart lights join the Internet of Things | euronews, hi-tech
- 19International news | euronews, latest international news
- 20Fighting Boko Haram: Chad aims to ‘destroy’ militant group | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 01:47 CET Two Tanzanian U.N. peacekeepers killed in Congo ambush
- 01:26 CET Charlie Hebdo to be honoured in New York under increased security
- 00:27 CET Video shows Rwandan peacekeepers shooting protesters in Mali -…
- 00:04 CET Germanwings co-pilot practiced descent on outbound flight before…
- 23:59 CET U.S. investigates claim Islamic State behind Texas attack
- 23:26 CET Macedonian protesters demand resignation of cabinet, clash with…
- 22:52 CET Merkel says her coalition ‘working very well’ despite spying row
- 22:43 CET Two rockets fired into Baghdad’s heavily fortified ‘Green Zone’