A grenade attack outside a night club in the Kenyan coastal city of Mombasa has left one person dead and five others wounded.
Witnesses said gunmen tried to force their way into the building but were barred by the gate guards. They then shot at random and hurled the explosive devices.
Two of the guards were among those injured, a woman later died of a gunshot wound to the chest.
It is the latest attack since Kenyan troops were sent into southern Somalia to help crackdown on Islamist militants.
One of the victims described the explosion followed by smoke then fire. “I wanted to run away,” he said, “ but I couldn’t tell whether it came from a car or had been hurled by someone.”
More than 10 people have been killed recently in attacks blamed on al Shebaab. Nairobi accuses the al Qaeda linked militant group of deliberately targeting the country’s tourist trade.
- 1Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin | euronews, world news
- 2Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 3euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 4Nepal: ‘equally big earthquakes coming in eastern regions,’ expert tells euronews | euronews, world news
- 5It’s a girl: Britain’s Duchess of Cambridge gives birth in London | euronews, world news
- 6How Nepal earthquake devastated Kathmandu’s UNESCO heritage | euronews, world news
- 7Chernobyl Children: what makes Ukrainians born in 1986 different? | euronews, world news
- 8International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 9Exclusive: unrest in FYR Macedonia could hit other Balkan countries warns Serbian PM | euronews, world news
- 10International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 11Andrea Ferrari: the graphene guru | euronews, science
- 12Juncker to Hungarian PM Orban: “Hello, Dictator!”
- 13Portuguese language reform law goes global | euronews, world news
- 14EU membership remains Serbia’s priority, says PM Aleksandar Vucic | euronews, the global conversation
- 15Watch: France’s Jean-Marie Le Pen clashes with UKIP MEP Woolfe | euronews, world news
- 16Spain: the viral soldiers fighting in Madrid and Barcelona mayoral races | euronews, world news
- 17How young translators are helping knit European culture together | euronews, generation y
- 18Evidence of ancient wine found in Georgia a vintage quaffed some 6,000 years BC
- 19We will not be moved! China’s urban spread resistance [PHOTOS]
- 20How World War II shaped modern Poland | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 11:53 CET Russia to adopt tough position if Ukraine defaults: PM Medvedev
- 11:39 CET Islamic State raises flag over citadel in Syria’s Palmyra -…
- 11:34 CET Ireland backs gay marriage in historic vote, ministers say
- 09:35 CET China and Peru agree to study transcontinental rail link
- 09:31 CET Suicide bomber kills 21 at Saudi Shi’ite mosque, Islamic State…
- 07:28 CET Dispute over Mideast nuclear arms ban torpedoes U.N. conference
- 03:47 CET Clinton emails show concern about image after Benghazi
- 03:00 CET Activists damage habitat in Seattle bay during Shell oil protests