A grenade attack outside a night club in the Kenyan coastal city of Mombasa has left one person dead and five others wounded.
Witnesses said gunmen tried to force their way into the building but were barred by the gate guards. They then shot at random and hurled the explosive devices.
Two of the guards were among those injured, a woman later died of a gunshot wound to the chest.
It is the latest attack since Kenyan troops were sent into southern Somalia to help crackdown on Islamist militants.
One of the victims described the explosion followed by smoke then fire. “I wanted to run away,” he said, “ but I couldn’t tell whether it came from a car or had been hurled by someone.”
More than 10 people have been killed recently in attacks blamed on al Shebaab. Nairobi accuses the al Qaeda linked militant group of deliberately targeting the country’s tourist trade.
- 1Obama unveils US plan to cut carbon emissions
- 2Spain heading for constitutional tension as Catalonia calls an early election
- 3Ukrainians protest against a planned “buffer zone”
- 4Handling of a child sex abuse complaint against a former British prime minister to be investigated.
- 5Fatal floods batter India, Myanmar, Pakistan, Vietnam and Nepal
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 8Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 9International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 10French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 11BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 12Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 13Latest News Bulletin
- 14Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 15At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 16Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 17‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 18Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 19Varoufakis resigns after Greek referendum
- 20European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
Latest world news
UK extends Tornado air campaign against ISIL in Iraq
Dramatic footage of road collapse as deadly rain storms hit Asia
More Stock Exchange losses in Greece as banking shares plunge
Yemen conflict: Hadi loyalists seize largest military base from Houthis
Pakistan hangs ‘teen’ convict despite protests from rights groups
Wires > News
- 15:41 CET Israel’s Netanyahu tells cabinet to back budget or risk government…
- 15:34 CET Turkish jets hit Kurdish militant targets in southeast Turkey
- 15:15 CET Turkish nationalists would back AK minority government in return…
- 14:21 CET Judge throws out fraud case against South African firebrand Malema
- 14:18 CET Japan A-bomb survivors speak out against nuclear power, decry…
- 13:48 CET Amid scandal, suitors cautiously eye Malaysia’s 1MDB power assets…
- 13:26 CET U.N. envoy to Yemen says warring parties increasingly open to…
- 13:24 CET China detains seven Christians opposed to cross demolition