A grenade attack outside a night club in the Kenyan coastal city of Mombasa has left one person dead and five others wounded.
Witnesses said gunmen tried to force their way into the building but were barred by the gate guards. They then shot at random and hurled the explosive devices.
Two of the guards were among those injured, a woman later died of a gunshot wound to the chest.
It is the latest attack since Kenyan troops were sent into southern Somalia to help crackdown on Islamist militants.
One of the victims described the explosion followed by smoke then fire. “I wanted to run away,” he said, “ but I couldn’t tell whether it came from a car or had been hurled by someone.”
More than 10 people have been killed recently in attacks blamed on al Shebaab. Nairobi accuses the al Qaeda linked militant group of deliberately targeting the country’s tourist trade.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Air Algerie plane ‘crashes’ over Sahara
- 2#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 3TransAsia Airways plane crashes on landing in Taiwan, killing dozens
- 4Ukraine suspects one of its jets was shot down by another aircraft
- 5Israelis unite around troops fighting in Gaza
- 147 dead and 11 injured in TransAsia Airways crash landing
- 2TransAsia Airways plane crashes on landing in Taiwan, killing dozens
- 3#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 4Fighter jets ‘shot down’ over Ukraine
- 5Costa Concordia finally clear of Giglio, destined for dismemberment
- 1298 killed as Malaysia Airlines passenger jet shot down over Ukraine
- 2[LIVE UPDATE] Malaysia Airlines MH17: Dutch forensic team arrives at crash site
- 3Researchers reach mysterious giant crater in Siberia
- 447 dead and 11 injured in TransAsia Airways crash landing
- 5Ukraine: Black boxes recovered from downed Malaysian airliner
Wires > News
- 22:11 CET Italy PM Renzi’s reform plans hit resistance in Senate
- 22:01 CET Mali government, northern rebels sign roadmap deal for peace talks
- 21:36 CET Russian court jails Putin foes on charges of inciting mass riots
- 21:03 CET EU targets state-owned Russia banks in sanctions plan
- 20:31 CET Rival Libyan militias clash in Tripoli, Benghazi
- 20:20 CET Venezuela says ex-intelligence head arrested in Aruba
- 20:19 CET First U.N. aid convoy enters Syria without government consent
- 19:13 CET Tourist killed in Mombasa, second in July – police