Some will be sorry to see Nicolas Sarkozy go, a head of state with a certain style. In 2007, on the sixteenth of May, he crossed the Elysée Palace main courtyard to be greeted by the outgoing president, Jacques Chirac.
Sarkozy had backed Chirac’s fellow conservative challenger for President of France in 1995 and so he had found himself out in the cold for a while.
Twice minister of the interior, once minister of finance, and also budget minister, now Sarkozy had fought his way to the top.
Five hundred gilt-edge guests were there to witness this. Andrée, his mother, and children from his and his wife Cecilia’s previous marriages, and their own son, the youngest, weren’t going to miss this!
Young Louis let on more than most how impressed he was; who wouldn’t be, with the Grand collier de la Légion d’honneur: a kilo of gold, with his father’s name engraved on it?! This may be the first official instance of what came to be known as a ‘bling’ presidency.
In the final vote-count, Sarkozy got some 19 million. That’s about a million more than his successor. Thus he signed a contract to lead the French Republic for the next five years.
Cecilia had helped him to get there, he acknowledged. But her days with him were numbered – or his with her… She was out of there a few weeks later, with a divorce.
Sarkozy’s mandate was busy; he became famous for it, and even he admitted he had trouble grasping the symbolic dimension of being president.
He leaves the l’Elysée with his third wife, Carla Bruni, for a holiday. In June, he will receive an office the French keep for all their ex-presidents. He could take up practising law again.
- 1Migrant killed near Tunnel amid mass attempt to cross channel
- 2Man killed as 1,500 migrants try to enter Channel Tunnel in Calais
- 3Afghan Taliban leader Mullah Omar is confirmed dead
- 4Rome airport fully operational after forest fire affects flights
- 5Turkey keeps up pressure on PKK with more airstrikes
- 1Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 2French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 3Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 4Bobbi Kristina Brown, Whitney Houston’s daughter, dies
- 5Coach has its roof sheared off in low tunnel near Lille
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 6[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 7Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 8Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 9French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 10Latest News Bulletin
- 11International news | euronews, latest international news
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 14Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 15Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 16At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 17Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 18‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 19Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 20Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
Latest world news
US: Zion Harvey ‘youngest person’ to receive double hand transplant
More police for Calais as UK and France pledge to tackle wider migrant crisis
“Arrivo Berlin” – a project in Berlin training migrants to prepare for work
Clashes as Israel demolishes West Bank settlement homes
UEFA chief Michel Platini to stand for FIFA presidency
Wires > News
- 19:42 CET Buhari in Cameroon seeks closer partnership against Boko Haram
- 19:29 CET Rome airport fully operational after forest fire affects flights
- 19:11 CET Zimbabwean charged over killing of Cecil the lion
- 18:57 CET Israel approves new homes in settlement after demolishing two…
- 18:45 CET Syrian army says Israeli planes strike pro-Syrian Palestinian…
- 18:33 CET India set to become world’s most populous country by 2022 – U.N.
- 18:29 CET Afghanistan says Taliban leader dead, urges peace talks
- 17:47 CET U.S. approves possible sale of $5.4 billion in missiles to Saudi…