Some will be sorry to see Nicolas Sarkozy go, a head of state with a certain style. In 2007, on the sixteenth of May, he crossed the Elysée Palace main courtyard to be greeted by the outgoing president, Jacques Chirac.
Sarkozy had backed Chirac’s fellow conservative challenger for President of France in 1995 and so he had found himself out in the cold for a while.
Twice minister of the interior, once minister of finance, and also budget minister, now Sarkozy had fought his way to the top.
Five hundred gilt-edge guests were there to witness this. Andrée, his mother, and children from his and his wife Cecilia’s previous marriages, and their own son, the youngest, weren’t going to miss this!
Young Louis let on more than most how impressed he was; who wouldn’t be, with the Grand collier de la Légion d’honneur: a kilo of gold, with his father’s name engraved on it?! This may be the first official instance of what came to be known as a ‘bling’ presidency.
In the final vote-count, Sarkozy got some 19 million. That’s about a million more than his successor. Thus he signed a contract to lead the French Republic for the next five years.
Cecilia had helped him to get there, he acknowledged. But her days with him were numbered – or his with her… She was out of there a few weeks later, with a divorce.
Sarkozy’s mandate was busy; he became famous for it, and even he admitted he had trouble grasping the symbolic dimension of being president.
He leaves the l’Elysée with his third wife, Carla Bruni, for a holiday. In June, he will receive an office the French keep for all their ex-presidents. He could take up practising law again.
- 1Russian co-pilot says his plane downed “without warning” by Turks
- 2No violation, no warning, a premediatated provocation growls Moscow
- 3Turkey’s NATO ambassador defends downing of Russian fighter jet
- 4Germany will ‘do more’ to fight ISIL, says Merkel
- 5Refugee numbers drop while obstacles multiply for some nationalities
- 1Russia confirms Turks have shot down one of its planes on Syrian border
- 2Fate of pilots of downed Russian jet unclear
- 3Turkey downing of Russian plane “a stab in the back” says President Vladimir Putin
- 4Five questions on Russia’s air strikes in Syria
- 5French police hunt new suspect over Paris attacks
- 1At least 22 people killed as Mali hotel siege ends
- 2Two suspected terrorists dead, seven arrests in police raid on apartment in Saint-Denis, Paris
- 3Fate of pilots of downed Russian jet unclear
- 4Russia confirms Turks have shot down one of its planes on Syrian border
- 5ISIL publishes video to “celebrate” Paris attacks as France continues airstrikes
- 1Coordinated terror attacks leave dozens dead in Paris
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 31000-year-old Bible found in Turkey
- 4Bomb and several shootings in central Paris – reports of fatalities and injuries
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6world Weather | euronews: world ten day weather forecast
- 7European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 8Police hunting Paris attacks mastermind battle with suspects in heart of Paris
- 9latest sci-tech news : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 10Humans consume more than planet can produce on ‘Earth Overshoot Day’
- 11International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 12Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 13Business news and finance news | euronews: international economic and finance news
- 14Middle East - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 15New temporary spiritual leader of Muslim Brotherhood appointed
- 16Fukushima: Tepco admits contaminated water leak into the Pacific
- 17‘Anonymous’ hackers’ group declares ‘war’ on ISIL
- 18Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 19‘Maxed-out:’ Jordan’s King Abdullah II’s frank warning over Syria crisis
- 20Iraq: deadly car bombs kill more than 60 in Baghdad
Latest world news
Germany will ‘do more’ to fight ISIL, says Merkel
Turkey’s NATO ambassador defends downing of Russian fighter jet
No violation, no warning, a premediatated provocation growls Moscow
Russian co-pilot says his plane downed “without warning” by Turks
Ukraine and Russia clash again over gas pricing
Wires > News
- 22:42 CET U.S. using sex, money to infiltrate Iran, supreme leader says
- 21:50 CET Sarkozy battles far-right in French regional vote
- 21:33 CET Palestinian stabs Israeli soldier and is shot dead – army
- 21:33 CET Russia’s past and present collide at ceremony to honour former…
- 21:07 CET Russia and Turkey refuse to back down in row over jet downing
- 20:25 CET UK-made cruise missile used in deadly airstrike on Yemeni factory…
- 20:23 CET Paris attacks a reason Canada slowing Syria migrant flow, PM says
- 20:10 CET Human error led to deadly U.S. strike on Afghan hospital – military