Police in the Mexican city of Cuernavaca have found the body of a journalist inside the boot of his own car. It follows the deaths last month of four other journalists, sparking fears for press freedom.
Rene Orta Salgado had formerly been a local newspaper reporter but had left to campaign for opposition presidential candidate Enrique Pena Nieto.
As battles between rival drug gangs become more brutal, cartels are trying to control media coverage.
Pena Nieto and his Institutional Revolutionary Party have been accused by the government of hampering efforts to curb the cartels by using Congress to block the formation of a national police force, designed to replace hundreds of local corrupt ones.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Ukrainian troops allegedly desert to join pro-Russian forces in Slavyansk
- 2Pro-Russian activists seize Ukraine armoured vehicles
- 3Pictures and videos of April 15 lunar “Blood Moon” eclipse
- 4Brothers to stand-in for late Fast and Furious star Paul Walker
- 5Watch April 15 total lunar eclipse live online
- 1Watch April 15 total lunar eclipse live online
- 2Mind-bending vending machine dispenses marijuana
- 3Ukrainian troops begin ‘anti-terror operation’ in eastern city Kramatorsk
- 4Deadly bomb attack in Abuja is blamed on Boko Haram
- 5Divisions widen in Ukraine as Kyiv is urged to rein in pro-Russian separatists
Wires > News
- 03:00 CET Hundreds still missing in deadly Korea ferry sinking
- 02:43 CET Algeria’s Bouteflika poised to win re-election
- 02:13 CET Obama, Abe to battle negative images at U.S.-Japan summit
- 01:57 CET U.S. calls for more investment-friendly Indian government
- 01:52 CET Graft trial of son of Senegal’s ex-president to start in June
- 01:14 CET Brazil’s leader holds wide lead six months from election – survey
- 00:09 CET Nigerian military says most of abducted schoolgirls freed, eight…
- 23:19 CET Nigerian military says most of abducted schoolgirls freed