Police in the Mexican city of Cuernavaca have found the body of a journalist inside the boot of his own car. It follows the deaths last month of four other journalists, sparking fears for press freedom.
Rene Orta Salgado had formerly been a local newspaper reporter but had left to campaign for opposition presidential candidate Enrique Pena Nieto.
As battles between rival drug gangs become more brutal, cartels are trying to control media coverage.
Pena Nieto and his Institutional Revolutionary Party have been accused by the government of hampering efforts to curb the cartels by using Congress to block the formation of a national police force, designed to replace hundreds of local corrupt ones.
- 1Incredible scenes in the Turkish parliament
- 2Denmark extends controls on German border, EU set to allow more Schengen exceptions
- 3Three Earth-like planets found outside the Solar System
- 4Palestinians condemn Eurovision Song Contest for flag ban
- 5Rebels launch surprise attack on Aleppo – Syrian state TV
Latest world news
Trump is Republican presumptive nominee after crushing Cruz in Indiana
Wildfire triggers emergency evacuation in Alberta
Israeli troops shoot dead driver of rammed car
Google and Fiat to team up on self drive cars
Bahrain’s king holidays at Sharm el-Sheikh and tips Egypt for tourism
Wires > News
- 07:48 CET ‘Bongbong’, the son, leads Marcos revival in the Philippines
- 07:36 CET Canadian wildfire forces evacuation order for entire city
- 07:29 CET Turkey approves law among final hurdles for EU visa deal
- 06:14 CET Amid scandal, China military hospital closes doors to new patients
- 05:00 CET Top prosecutor asks to investigate Brazil president
- 04:32 CET Tough-talking mayor keeps poll lead a week before Philippine…
- 04:21 CET Islamic State kills U.S. Navy SEAL in northern Iraq
- 04:20 CET Australian mining magnate Clive Palmer won’t seek re-election