Police in the Mexican city of Cuernavaca have found the body of a journalist inside the boot of his own car. It follows the deaths last month of four other journalists, sparking fears for press freedom.
Rene Orta Salgado had formerly been a local newspaper reporter but had left to campaign for opposition presidential candidate Enrique Pena Nieto.
As battles between rival drug gangs become more brutal, cartels are trying to control media coverage.
Pena Nieto and his Institutional Revolutionary Party have been accused by the government of hampering efforts to curb the cartels by using Congress to block the formation of a national police force, designed to replace hundreds of local corrupt ones.
- 1‘Tourists go home’ say Spanish locals in backlash to holiday boom
- 2Fears grow for missing Japanese boy left in woods as punishment
- 3EgyptAir crash: doomed plane’s distress signal ‘picked up by satellites’
- 4Belgium facing more strike chaos
- 5More transport chaos in France in standoff over labour reforms
Wires > News
- 21:38 CET Death toll from Russian air strikes in Idlib climbs to 23 – monitor
- 21:34 CET Erdogan warns Germany ahead of Armenian genocide vote
- 21:12 CET Combative Trump says he raised $5.6 million for vets, bashes media
- 20:49 CET Sentence for Costa Concordia captain upheld over 2012 shipwreck
- 20:45 CET Libyan security forces pushing Islamic State back from vicinity of…
- 20:04 CET U.S. warns of possible Europe attacks, no specific threat
- 20:01 CET After Brexit – Roadmap for a leap in the dark
- 19:17 CET U.N. food agency prepares for deeper humanitarian crisis as battle…