Police in the Mexican city of Cuernavaca have found the body of a journalist inside the boot of his own car. It follows the deaths last month of four other journalists, sparking fears for press freedom.
Rene Orta Salgado had formerly been a local newspaper reporter but had left to campaign for opposition presidential candidate Enrique Pena Nieto.
As battles between rival drug gangs become more brutal, cartels are trying to control media coverage.
Pena Nieto and his Institutional Revolutionary Party have been accused by the government of hampering efforts to curb the cartels by using Congress to block the formation of a national police force, designed to replace hundreds of local corrupt ones.
Wires > News
- 03:19 CET Three Mexican federal police gunned down in market
- 23:34 CET Could Brexit vote be a preview of U.S. presidential race?
- 22:21 CET Venezuela dialogue could open way for international help – …
- 22:04 CET Turkey warns of rising European xenophobia after Brexit vote
- 21:48 CET After Brexit, what? U.S. secessionists hankering for ‘Texit’
- 21:36 CET U.S. strikes Afghan Taliban targets, in debut of broader role
- 21:28 CET Hezbollah to send more fighters to Syria’s Aleppo
- 20:24 CET For Donald Trump, going on about golf is par for the course