Police in the Mexican city of Cuernavaca have found the body of a journalist inside the boot of his own car. It follows the deaths last month of four other journalists, sparking fears for press freedom.
Rene Orta Salgado had formerly been a local newspaper reporter but had left to campaign for opposition presidential candidate Enrique Pena Nieto.
As battles between rival drug gangs become more brutal, cartels are trying to control media coverage.
Pena Nieto and his Institutional Revolutionary Party have been accused by the government of hampering efforts to curb the cartels by using Congress to block the formation of a national police force, designed to replace hundreds of local corrupt ones.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Caught on camera – children drugged and beaten in Romanian kindergarten
- 2Scientists baffled by two new holes discovered in Siberia
- 3Russia defiant in face of tough EU-US sanctions
- 4#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 5Gaza: Deaths at Jebalya school after Israeli strike
- 1#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 2Air Algerie plane ‘crashes’ over Sahara
- 3Eastern Ukrainians ‘hate Russian-led guerrillas’ — Arseniy Yatsenyuk
- 4Ukraine: ‘Disappointment’ at Yatsenyuk resignation
- 5Caught on camera – children drugged and beaten in Romanian kindergarten
Wires > News
- 15:09 CET Greek court ruling on migrant shootings causes outrage
- 14:54 CET Sierra Leone declares state of emergency over Ebola
- 14:48 CET Stop-start Afghan vote audit gets green light, but troubles remain
- 14:32 CET Ukraine blocks premier’s resignation, backs laws
- 14:02 CET US says hopeful of WTO deal with India only hours before deadline
- 13:26 CET China trial of Uighur scholar within weeks, imam reported killed
- 11:50 CET U.N. religion expert concerned over ‘interrupted’ Vietnam visit
- 11:48 CET Greece sends ships to Libya evacuate embassy, foreign nationals