Francois Hollande has been officially sworn in as France’s new president, during a ceremony at the Elysée Palace in Paris. He is the first socialist to take the reigns in 17 years.
Hollande swept to victory in a recent election run- off, beating conservative Nicolas Sarkozy.
After meeting Hollande at the Palace, Sarkozy took to the steps for the final time – leaving behind him the presidency and politics altogether.
During his inaugural speech, Hollande focused on unity in France.
“The country needs healing, reconciliation, bringing together,” he said.
“This is the role of the president: to contribute to all of the French living together.”
Hollande is expected to name his prime minister today and reveal the make-up of his government on Wednesday.
After various engagements in Paris, Hollande will travel to Berlin for a working dinner with German Chancellor Angela Merkel.
Sarkozy handed over power in France after negotiating a strict fiscal treaty to deal with the eurozone debt crisis. Hollande intends to change all that. He repeated his plan to couple growth with austerity at his inauguration. “I will propose to my European partners a pact that ties the necessary reduction of deficit to the indispensable stimulation of the economy,” he said.
But Merkel, although weakened by disastrous regional election results in Germany, has stressed that tough European austerity policies will not be changed.
Hollande’s first challenge will be to try to build a wider consensus for his approach while agreeing on how to cope with the Greek crisis.
With his first cabinet meeting, a trip to the US, a G8 summit and a NATO conference, Hollande’s first week as president has been described as a baptism of fire.
- 1Leopard enters Indian school, mauls six people
- 2Japanese volcano erupts on nuclear power station island
- 3Aleppo: Germany and Turkey come up with a 10-point action plan
- 4Pegida fails to ignite as Europe-wide anti-Muslim protests fizzle
- 5One of world’s biggest container ships stranded on German river
- 1Japanese volcano erupts on nuclear power station island
- 2US: Cars parked on frozen lake rescued after ice cracks
- 3Pegida fails to ignite as Europe-wide anti-Muslim protests fizzle
- 4One of world’s biggest container ships stranded on German river
- 5S Korea denounces N Korea rocket launch as ‘unacceptable provocation’
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International news | euronews, latest international news
- 3Most Istanbul blast victims ‘were German’, says Turkey
- 4Madrid to appeal Catalan road to independence from Spain
- 5Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 6Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 7Moldova: protesters storm Parliament
- 8Partnering to grow Europe
- 9Norway sends Syrian refugees back to Russia
- 10Merroussis clinches the 33rd Athens Authentic Marathon
- 11Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 12‘National’ funeral for Celine Dion’s husband ‘over the top’
- 13Jorge Lorenzo clinches his third MotoGP title in Valencia
- 14Benzema questioned in French sex tape case
- 15Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 16Brussels remains on high alert: ‘multiple operations underway’ across Belgium
- 17latest Learning World - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 18New temporary spiritual leader of Muslim Brotherhood appointed
- 19Paris: “I would rather see my brother in prison than in a cemetery”
- 20account : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
Latest world news
Tens of thousands of Syrian refugees in camps next to Turkey border
Aleppo: Germany and Turkey call on NATO for help with refugees
Gusty winds hit Europe – on both sides of the Channel
Spain: puppeteers charged with “glorifying terrorism”
Continuity IRA reportedly behind Dublin shooting
Wires > News
- 22:00 CET Israel may bank on Obama’s successor for future U.S. aid pact -…
- 21:55 CET Lives at risk unless WHO reforms, U.N. report says
- 21:44 CET U.S. defence intelligence chief predicts increased Islamic State…
- 21:02 CET Migrant arrivals to Greece’s Lesbos rise after days of bad weather
- 19:43 CET Four killed in crash of Russian military helicopter
- 19:14 CET Riot police detain forex mortgage protesters in Moscow
- 19:10 CET Obama, Italy’s Mattarella discuss fight against Islamic State in…
- 16:48 CET Uganda police buy anti-riot gear ahead of Museveni’s re-election…