The United Nations nuclear watchdog has opened a third round of talks with Iran over its disputed nuclear programme by pressing Tehran to grant inspectors access to key sites.
The two-day meeting in Vienna comes despite previous refusals to allow entry to the Parchin military base, which the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) believes could be a centre for nuclear weapons research.
As he went into the meeting, IAEA Deputy Director-General and chief UN nuclear inspector Hermann Nackaerts told reporters: “The aim of our two days of talks is to reach an agreement on the approach to resolve all outstanding issues with Iran, in particular, the clarification of the possible military dimensions remains our priority.”
An IAEA report cited foreign intelligence that suggested that the Parchin facility had been used to conduct explosives tests in what they think was a pressure chamber.
In recent weeks, the US and Israel have stepped up the pressure on Iran over its nuclear programme which Tehran says is being developed for peaceful purposes. Washington has refused to rule out a military strike.
Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmedinejad says his country will not “yield an inch over its fundamental right” to nuclear capabilities.
Iran is also set for wider talks with several nuclear powers in Baghdad next week.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1NATO: satellite images ‘show Russian troops in Ukraine’
- 2Islamic State video shows ‘scores of dead Syrian soldiers’
- 3Canada sends hilarious barb to Russia over Ukraine ‘incursions’
- 4Protesters demand more frontline equipment for Ukraine soldiers
- 5New Turkey President Erdogan says priorities include EU accession
- 1Footage released of 9-year-old on firing range moments before she accidently kills instructor
- 2Boston bombing suspects’ sister arrested
- 3Islamists seize border post between Syria and Israeli-occupied Golan Heights
- 4Poroshenko says Russian soldiers have been ‘brought into Ukraine’
- 5Canada sends hilarious barb to Russia over Ukraine ‘incursions’
- 1#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians | euronews, world news
- 2Ellen MacArthur: making waves on a journey to a circular economy | euronews, the global conversation
- 3China executes eight Muslims convicted of terrorism | euronews, world news
- 4Putin T-Shirts flying off the shelves at Moscow megastore | euronews, world news
- 5Everything you need to know about the Ebola virus | euronews, world news
- 6Ukraine accuses Russian aid convoy of stealing factory equipment | euronews, world news
- 7Massive Swedish forest fire is declared a national emergency | euronews, world news
- 8Hoverbike on the horizon | euronews, hi-tech
- 9Man, 27, fails in suicide bid after tigers reject chance to eat him | euronews, world news
- 10Risk of fresh ash cloud threatens European air travel | euronews, world news
- 11Iceland warns Europe’s airlines of possible volcanic eruption | euronews, world news
- 12Beyond the subconscious | euronews, futuris
- 13Romania buys into bitcoin big time | euronews, corporate
- 14Bardarbunga volcano in Iceland continues to rumble | euronews, world news
- 15Poland wants compensation from the EU for Russian import ban | euronews, world news
- 16EU’s Russia sanctions doing more harm than good says Hungary’s PM Orban | euronews, world news
- 17Greek farmers suffer in economic war between Russia and EU | euronews, economy
- 18Turkey’s women have the last laugh | euronews, world news
- 19Hamas executes 18 suspected collaborators | euronews, world news
- 20Turkish ferry makes high-speed final landing | euronews, no comment
Wires > News
- 07:04 CET Macau to ‘re-elect’ leader as democratic rumblings, mirroring Hong…
- 06:59 CET Icelandic volcano alert raised to red after eruption, no volcanic…
- 06:50 CET Volcanic eruption in Papua New Guinea causes flight diversions
- 06:00 CET Magnitude 5.7 quake strikes 80 miles south of Athens – USGS
- 05:41 CET Accident traps at least 25 miners in Nicaragua, government-backed…
- 05:36 CET With eye on China, Japan defence planners seek spending boost
- 04:34 CET Syrian accused of making detonators with U.S. parts faces Arizona…
- 03:19 CET U.S., China plan followup to Sunnylands summit in November