Exit polls suggest that Germany’s Social Democrats have trounced Chancellor Angela Merkel’s centre-right party in a regional election in the country’s most populous state.
Centre-left candidate Hannelore Kraft, who together with the Greens, has run a minority government in North Rhein-Westfalia over the past two years, promised a slower reduction in public spending.
Merkel’s Christian Democrats represented by environment minister Norbert Röttgen polled its lowest ever score in the state at just 26 percent versus the Social Democrats 39 percent.
The Greens achieved 12 percent and the recently created Pirate Party scored 7.5 percent.
Merkel has claimed the state government, which represents a population of nearly 18 million people, has mismanaged its finances and was ready to increase its debt.
Political analysts say Sunday’s result, could position the left to make further gains during next year’s federal election.
- 1Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 2Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin | euronews, world news
- 3euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 4Chomsky – a rebel with a cause | euronews, world news
- 5Anti-ISIL demonstrations turn violent in Ethiopia | euronews, no comment
- 6It’s a girl: Britain’s Duchess of Cambridge gives birth in London | euronews, world news
- 7Chernobyl Children: what makes Ukrainians born in 1986 different? | euronews, world news
- 8The migrants tragedy in the Mediterranean sparks creative satirical response | euronews, world news
- 9Europe is ‘bluffing’ over Greece-Russia relations – analyst | euronews, news
- 10Woman carries can of water on her head along Paris marathon | euronews, world news
- 11How Nepal earthquake devastated Kathmandu’s UNESCO heritage | euronews, world news
- 12Former IMF chief ‘under investigation for money laundering’ | euronews, world news
- 13Pope Francis washes Rome prisoners’ feet on Holy Thursday | euronews, world news
- 14ECB chief Mario Draghi unhurt after protest during speech | euronews, world news
- 15Portuguese researchers discover the secret of Mind Control | euronews, futuris
- 16International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 17International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 18International news | euronews, latest international news
- 19Andrea Ferrari: the graphene guru | euronews, science
- 20eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
Wires > News
- 05:13 CET Taliban, Afghan figures talk ceasefire but fail to agree
- 04:59 CET Earthquake rattles New Zealand’s South Island – USGS
- 04:42 CET Australian police defend involvement in Indonesia execution case
- 04:35 CET Two gunmen shot dead at Islam art show near Dallas
- 03:56 CET U.S. Justice Department to boost disclosure of cellphone tracking…
- 03:10 CET North Korea’s titular head of state to visit Moscow instead of Kim…
- 01:22 CET Earthquake strikes near Papua New Guinea – USGS
- 23:24 CET Airliner diverted to UAE airbase after blast warning – news agency