It is back to square one in Greece’s bid to form a new government after an inconclusive election that saw the two main parties punished over austerity.
Despite the drubbing, conservative New Democracy still topped the poll. Leader Antonis Samaras was asked by Greece’s president to form a coalition but he has failed, saying it is “impossible.”
He tried talking to Alexis Tsipras whose radical Left Coalition scored second place in Sunday’s vote. However Tsipras is staunchly anti-austerity and won’t join forces with the conservatives. That is because they and the Socialists of Evangelos Venizelos, also in on the coalition talks, agreed to painful belt-tightening in return for Greece’s bailout.
Further complicating efforts to form a new administration, New Democracy won’t work with the extreme-right Golden Dawn party which has won seats in parliament in an election breakthrough.
- 1Italian actor Bud Spencer dies at 86
- 2What will Brexit mean for EU migrants to the UK and British expats?
- 3Lionel Messi retires from international football
- 4Paris and Berlin agree on a strategy following Britain’s shock exit vote
- 5Iceland’s new President Gudni Johannesson off to France for the football
Latest world news
Explosions at Istanbul Ataturk airport ‘kill at least 10, wound 20 people’ – officials
Thousands protest in France as Senate approves controversial labour law
Schulz urges UK to make a speedy EU exit
Volkswagen to pay historic 15.3 billion dollars for cheating US emissions tests
‘‘chères collègues, do not let Scotland down now!”
Wires > News
- 22:16 CET Norway investigators blame Airbus helicopter crash on gearbox…
- 21:46 CET Former Nigerian ministers charged with laundering 4.9 bln naira
- 21:26 CET Russia, United States blame each other for maritime incident
- 21:10 CET EU leaders tell Britain to exit swiftly, market rout halts
- 20:36 CET Iraq’s top court invalidates Abadi’s partial cabinet reshuffle
- 20:34 CET Sweden, Kazakhstan, Ethiopia, Bolivia elected to U.N. Security…
- 20:31 CET Spain arrests 13 suspected of fraud at high-speed rail project
- 20:02 CET Russian warship carried out ‘unsafe’ operation near U.S. ships -…