Millions of voters across England, Scotland and Wales go to the polls today in nationwide local authority elections. But at the same time there’s also a key contest in London between that of challenger Ken Livingstone and incumbent Boris Johnson for the coveted prize of becoming the capital’s mayor.
Flamboyant Conservative Johnson saw off Labour’s Livingstone four years ago. The latter is attempting to regain the role which he formerly held for eight years.
The issues at the heart of both campaigns in this, London’s Olympic year are transport, police numbers on the streets and rising crime. But it could also come down to the candidates’ personalities.
“I think they’re all the same,” said one Londoner. “Ken Livingstone is too old; he’s been there, done it. Boris Johnson’s a bit of a joke – trying to be crafty, get the leadership of the Conservative party – hasn’t really got Londoners’ interests at heart.”
“Police and the streets – well you saw what happened with the riots – so yeah, I think the police, that’s one of the main thing,” said one woman voter.
Last year’s riots have also raised questions about poverty and unemployment, both of which have an impact beyond the capital and are expected to trigger a backlash against the government in the local elections across the country.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Oklahoma supreme court halts executions pending drugs hearing
- 2Ukraine: US releases photos of alleged Russian special forces in the east
- 3Nepalese sherpas threaten strike in wake of Everest avalanche tragedy
- 4Death toll now 87 in South Korea ferry sinking; 215 missing
- 5Miracle stowaway survives five hour jet flight hidden in wheel well
- 1TV newscaster keeps calm as quake hits Mexico
- 2South Korea: Dramatic amateur footage emerges of final moments before stricken ferry capsizes
- 3Scientists find new Earth-sized planet that could host life
- 4Pictures and videos of April 15 lunar “Blood Moon” eclipse
- 5Ukrainian troops allegedly desert to join pro-Russian forces in Slavyansk
Wires > News
- 21:40 CET Russia, China block Central African Republic blacklistings at U.N.
- 21:29 CET Car bomb in Kenyan capital kills four people
- 21:28 CET U.S. Western Sahara draft urges respecting human rights, no …
- 21:02 CET New law to lure investors to Egypt could feed corruption, critics…
- 20:52 CET Three charged in plot to ship chemical lab equipment from US to…
- 20:29 CET South Africa platinum strike talks to continue Thursday
- 20:23 CET Italy’s Berlusconi to start community service work next week
- 20:20 CET Hamas, Abbas’s PLO announce reconciliation agreement