Millions of voters across England, Scotland and Wales go to the polls today in nationwide local authority elections. But at the same time there’s also a key contest in London between that of challenger Ken Livingstone and incumbent Boris Johnson for the coveted prize of becoming the capital’s mayor.
Flamboyant Conservative Johnson saw off Labour’s Livingstone four years ago. The latter is attempting to regain the role which he formerly held for eight years.
The issues at the heart of both campaigns in this, London’s Olympic year are transport, police numbers on the streets and rising crime. But it could also come down to the candidates’ personalities.
“I think they’re all the same,” said one Londoner. “Ken Livingstone is too old; he’s been there, done it. Boris Johnson’s a bit of a joke – trying to be crafty, get the leadership of the Conservative party – hasn’t really got Londoners’ interests at heart.”
“Police and the streets – well you saw what happened with the riots – so yeah, I think the police, that’s one of the main thing,” said one woman voter.
Last year’s riots have also raised questions about poverty and unemployment, both of which have an impact beyond the capital and are expected to trigger a backlash against the government in the local elections across the country.
- 1Andreas Lubitz: Torn-up sick note for day of crash is found at home of Germanwings co-pilot
- 2Germanwings crash: Andreas Lubitz ‘received treatment for depression’
- 3German police remove items from flight 9525 co-pilot’s homes
- 4Author Scott Westerfeld captures dramatic footage after New York gas explosion
- 5Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say?
- 1Prosecutors believe co-pilot deliberately flew Germanwings jet into mountain
- 2Amazement in the hometown of Germanwings co-pilot Andreas Lubitz
- 3Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say?
- 4French prosecutor: Germanwings co-pilot appears to have crashed plane deliberately
- 5New reports claim Airbus crash voice recorder reveals pilot ‘was locked out of cockpit’
- 1Germanwings crash: search suspended
- 2Prosecutors believe co-pilot deliberately flew Germanwings jet into mountain
- 3Reaching new heights: Parents in India scale walls to ‘help students cheat’
- 4Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say?
- 5Amazement in the hometown of Germanwings co-pilot Andreas Lubitz
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russian rumour mill suggests Putin suffering poor health | euronews, world news
- 3Slovenia becomes 11th EU nation to approve gay marriage | euronews, world news
- 4[LIVE] Germanwings passenger jet crashes in southern France, 148 people on board – authorities | euronews, world news
- 5Indian rapist says women to blame for being sexually assaulted | euronews, world news
- 6Exclusive: CIA and Mossad are behind Boko Haram and ISIL, says Sudan president | euronews, world news
- 7International news | euronews, latest international news
- 8Why is Bulgaria the EU’s most unhappy country? | euronews, world news
- 9Greece’s claim for war reparations from Germany explained | euronews, world news
- 10London calling: why home-loving Hungarians are flocking to British capital | euronews, reporter
- 11French Alps plane crash treated as suicide and mass murder by co-pilot | euronews, world news
- 12Exclusive: Tsipras promises meritocracy, transparency for Greece, urges Europe to put people first | euronews, world news
- 13Reaching new heights: Parents in India scale walls to ‘help students cheat’ | euronews, world news
- 14Tens of thousands march in Moscow in memory of Boris Nemtsov | euronews, world news
- 15Handwriting and the digital age, time for change in schools? | euronews, learning world
- 16eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 17French prosecutor: Germanwings co-pilot appears to have crashed plane deliberately | euronews, world news
- 18Manufacturing jihad – Nicolas Hénin explains what he learned about ISIL | euronews, the global conversation
- 19Romania left red-faced after France-Germany map gaffe | euronews, world news
- 20Which EU country has the biggest gender pay gap? | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 21:29 CET Saudi Arabia decides to restore ambassador to Sweden – Al Arabiya…
- 20:43 CET Time for Iran to make tough decisions in nuclear talks – U.S.
- 20:27 CET France presses at U.N. for Islamic State to face world court
- 20:10 CET Yemen Houthi rebels advance despite Saudi-led air strikes
- 20:07 CET ‘Unholy alliance’ of Islamists threatens Sweden – spy chief
- 19:54 CET Syrian army and Hezbollah encircle Syrian city near border – TV
- 19:51 CET Nigeria president warns against bloodshed ahead of Saturday poll
- 19:12 CET Nigerians uprooted by Boko Haram angry at losing chance to vote