Russia’s president-elect Vladimir Putin and outgoing leader Dmitry Medvedev have joined a massive Labour day rally through Moscow.
More than 150,000 people marched in a show of unity between several workers’ unions and the Kremlin, who have had close relations since Soviet times.
The highly unusual joint public appearance by the two leaders even stretched to a pitstop at the Zhiguli bar, a renowned Soviet-era venue for cheap beer.
While some welcomed the opportunity to see Putin before his inauguration next week, others said they planned to use the march to campaign for better workers rights.
Russia’s Communist party, the largest opposition to Putin’s United Russia, held their own more modest rally, with around 3500 people turning out.
“We’ve staged this demo around the following themes: Let’s build an intelligent and strong Russia, let’s chase scoundrels and thieves from corridors of power, and let’s bring a government of national confidence, and a new direction for our country,” said Gennady Zyuganov, Communist Party leader.
Other anti-Putin opponents were noticeably absent from the May Day rallies. Instead, several activist groups are planning a “march of millions” on Sunday, a day before Putin is sworn in for a third term as president.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Divers grapple with inhuman conditions as Sewol ferry salvage continues
- 2Exhumations at suspected Serbia mass grave begin
- 3Missouri execution of death-row inmate Michael Taylor ‘flawed’
- 4Protests mark the first anniversary of the Bangladesh clothing factory tragedy
- 5Transnistria territorially tempting to Russia
- 1Oklahoma supreme court halts executions pending drugs hearing
- 2Ukraine: US releases photos of alleged Russian special forces in the east
- 3Nepalese sherpas threaten strike in wake of Everest avalanche tragedy
- 4Death toll now 87 in South Korea ferry sinking; 215 missing
- 5Miracle stowaway survives five hour jet flight hidden in wheel well
- 1TV newscaster keeps calm as quake hits Mexico
- 2South Korea: Dramatic amateur footage emerges of final moments before stricken ferry capsizes
- 3Scientists find new Earth-sized planet that could host life
- 4Pictures and videos of April 15 lunar “Blood Moon” eclipse
- 5Ukrainian troops allegedly desert to join pro-Russian forces in Slavyansk
Wires > News
- 02:04 CET Obama to use Japan visit to reassure Asian allies
- 02:00 CET Syria eyes end of chemical arms monitoring mission; West disagrees
- 01:26 CET Australia transport bureau says beach debris not from MH370
- 00:59 CET Pentagon dossier to detail secretive U.S. Afghan detainee policy
- 00:55 CET Ukraine revolt shows faces, but whose are the brains?
- 00:54 CET Exclusive – Russia, China block Central African Republic blacklist…
- 23:49 CET Colombia ICRC says peace may solve mystery of disappeared
- 23:20 CET Two policemen, militant killed in Egypt