It is official – New York’s ‘One World Trade Center’ which is being built at the site of the fallen twin towers is now the city’s tallest building.
When construction workers positioned a beam on what is currently the Center’s highest floor, it knocked the Empire State building into second place in the height stakes.
Scott Rechler of the Port Authority put the achievement into context: “One World Trade Center is much more than an iconic symbol for New York, New Jersey and our region. It is a symbol of liberty and pride for our entire country.”
Eventually the One World Trade Center will stand at 541 metres to the tip of its antenna when it is completed next year. It will make it the world’s third tallest building.
The skyscraper which over looks the Ground Zero memorial site will be higher than the former twin towers which were toppled in the 2001 terrorist attacks when nearly 3,000 people were killed.
- 1Migrant killed near Tunnel amid mass attempt to cross channel
- 2Man killed as 1,500 migrants try to enter Channel Tunnel in Calais
- 3Afghan Taliban leader Mullah Omar is confirmed dead
- 4Rome airport fully operational after forest fire affects flights
- 5Turkey keeps up pressure on PKK with more airstrikes
- 1Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 2French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 3Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 4Bobbi Kristina Brown, Whitney Houston’s daughter, dies
- 5Coach has its roof sheared off in low tunnel near Lille
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 6[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 7Latest News Bulletin
- 8French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 9Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 10Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 11International news | euronews, latest international news
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 14Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 15‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 16At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 17Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 18Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 19Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 20Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
Latest world news
Zion Harvey, 8, becomes youngest to receive double hand transplant
Romanian police make record heroin seizure
Turkey pounds PKK positions in ‘anti-terror’ operation
More police for Channel Tunnel as UK and France pledge to tackle migrant crisis
Amnesty International claims Israeli military committed war crimes during Gaza conflict
Wires > News
- 21:24 CET Fabius, visiting Tehran, invites Rouhani to France
- 21:05 CET U.S. democratic presidential hopeful Clinton to call for lifting…
- 20:54 CET Afghanistan says Taliban leader dead, urges peace talks
- 20:39 CET Too early to say if debris in Reunion is from MH370 flight – police
- 20:14 CET U.S., allies target Islamic State in Syria, Iraq with 14 air…
- 20:04 CET Taliban leader, who Afghanistan says is dead, a pious enigma
- 20:00 CET Syrian PM says power crisis worsens as militants target plants
- 19:52 CET Zimbabwean charged over killing of Cecil the lion