10 people have been killed after Syrian government forces fired mortar bombs at a village in the northern Idlib province, according to the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights.
The same group reports that rebels have killed at least 12 soldiers during fierce fighting outside a military base in the eastern province of Deir al-Zor. At least one civilian has also died.
The renewed fighting comes after UN chief Ban Ki-moon once again called for the fragile ceasefire to be respected.
New video filmed by a British TV network shows the devastation in Homs, Syria’s third largest city, caused by months of pounding by pro-government forces in an attempt to quell a popular uprising.
Despite the presence of UN observers in the country, gun battles still break out. Large swathes of the city are in ruins. Remaining residents are at the mercy of government snipers.
The head of the UN observer mission to Syria Major General Robert Mood says a further 50 monitors are expected to arrive by the end of the week.
Two observers from the advance team have been deployed to Idlib province. Three other pairs have been sent to the cities of Hama, Homs and Daraa province, south of the capital Damascus.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International news | euronews, latest international news
- 3Most Istanbul blast victims ‘were German’, says Turkey
- 4Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 5Madrid to appeal Catalan road to independence from Spain
- 6Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 7Moldova: protesters storm Parliament
- 8Partnering to grow Europe
- 9Jorge Lorenzo clinches his third MotoGP title in Valencia
- 10Norway sends Syrian refugees back to Russia
- 11Merroussis clinches the 33rd Athens Authentic Marathon
- 12Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 13‘National’ funeral for Celine Dion’s husband ‘over the top’
- 14Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 15Brussels remains on high alert: ‘multiple operations underway’ across Belgium
- 16Benzema questioned in French sex tape case
- 17Paris: “I would rather see my brother in prison than in a cemetery”
- 18latest Learning World - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 19account : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 20Caught by the Maasai at mid-on ‘Warriors’ play cricket
Latest world news
Five migrants saved from channel after trying to sail to Britain from Calais
Suicide bomber attacks Pakistani military convoy
Pope Francis celebrates Jubilee day in honour of Padre Pio
World condemns North Korean satellite launch
Syrian refugees flee to Turkey border as Aleppo assault intensifies
Wires > News
- 00:21 CET Taiwan quake kills at least 12, fells apartment block
- 23:56 CET More than 3,100 pregnant women in Colombia have Zika virus -…
- 22:59 CET Tunisia finishes Libya border fence intended to keep out militants
- 22:41 CET Anti-Islam movement PEGIDA stages protests across Europe
- 22:39 CET Iraq’s water minister judges only tiny danger of Mosul dam collapse
- 22:35 CET Australian woman freed after kidnap by al Qaeda in Burkina Faso
- 20:52 CET Turkey must cut migrant flows to Europe, top EU official says
- 20:44 CET Five Czechs killed as huge Austrian avalanche buries 17