10 people have been killed after Syrian government forces fired mortar bombs at a village in the northern Idlib province, according to the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights.
The same group reports that rebels have killed at least 12 soldiers during fierce fighting outside a military base in the eastern province of Deir al-Zor. At least one civilian has also died.
The renewed fighting comes after UN chief Ban Ki-moon once again called for the fragile ceasefire to be respected.
New video filmed by a British TV network shows the devastation in Homs, Syria’s third largest city, caused by months of pounding by pro-government forces in an attempt to quell a popular uprising.
Despite the presence of UN observers in the country, gun battles still break out. Large swathes of the city are in ruins. Remaining residents are at the mercy of government snipers.
The head of the UN observer mission to Syria Major General Robert Mood says a further 50 monitors are expected to arrive by the end of the week.
Two observers from the advance team have been deployed to Idlib province. Three other pairs have been sent to the cities of Hama, Homs and Daraa province, south of the capital Damascus.
- 1Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 2French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 3Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 4Bobbi Kristina Brown, Whitney Houston’s daughter, dies
- 5Coach has its roof sheared off in low tunnel near Lille
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 6[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 7Latest News Bulletin
- 8French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 9Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 10Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 11International news | euronews, latest international news
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 14Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 15‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 16At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 17Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 18Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 19Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 20Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
Wires > News
- 03:48 CET India hangs man convicted of 1993 Mumbai bomb blasts – TV
- 03:03 CET Authorities study debris found off Madagascar for links to MH370
- 02:30 CET U.S. says Europeans could help more in South China Sea dispute
- 02:01 CET Israel approves new homes in settlement after demolishing two…
- 00:49 CET Afghanistan says Taliban leader dead, urges peace talks
- 00:14 CET Top U.S. general says Iran deal lowers near-term atomic arms risk
- 21:24 CET Fabius, visiting Tehran, invites Rouhani to France
- 21:05 CET U.S. democratic presidential hopeful Clinton to call for lifting…