10 people have been killed after Syrian government forces fired mortar bombs at a village in the northern Idlib province, according to the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights.
The same group reports that rebels have killed at least 12 soldiers during fierce fighting outside a military base in the eastern province of Deir al-Zor. At least one civilian has also died.
The renewed fighting comes after UN chief Ban Ki-moon once again called for the fragile ceasefire to be respected.
New video filmed by a British TV network shows the devastation in Homs, Syria’s third largest city, caused by months of pounding by pro-government forces in an attempt to quell a popular uprising.
Despite the presence of UN observers in the country, gun battles still break out. Large swathes of the city are in ruins. Remaining residents are at the mercy of government snipers.
The head of the UN observer mission to Syria Major General Robert Mood says a further 50 monitors are expected to arrive by the end of the week.
Two observers from the advance team have been deployed to Idlib province. Three other pairs have been sent to the cities of Hama, Homs and Daraa province, south of the capital Damascus.
- 1Tony Blair to step down as Middle East representative
- 2Iraq ‘exhumes 470 bodies’, thought to be victims of ISIL-led massacre
- 3Eastern Ukraine: separatists ‘will not push for independence,’ says spokesperson
- 4‘Rampant corruption:’ US orders arrest of senior FIFA executives
- 5Jack Warner turns himself in after being accused of corruption in FIFA scandal
- 1‘Rampant corruption:’ US orders arrest of senior FIFA executives
- 2Obama denounces Russia’s ‘increasingly aggressive posture’ on Ukraine
- 3Bunny beaten to death live on Danish radio
- 4Chancellor Merkel heads Forbes most powerful women list – again!
- 5Swiss police arrest several senior Fifa executives in a morning raid at a five-star hotel in Zurich
- 1Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin | euronews, world news
- 2Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 3euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 4Nepal: ‘equally big earthquakes coming in eastern regions,’ expert tells euronews | euronews, world news
- 5It’s a girl: Britain’s Duchess of Cambridge gives birth in London | euronews, world news
- 6How Nepal earthquake devastated Kathmandu’s UNESCO heritage | euronews, world news
- 7Juncker to Hungarian PM Orban: “Hello, Dictator!”
- 8Evidence of ancient wine found in Georgia a vintage quaffed some 6,000 years BC
- 9Exclusive: unrest in FYR Macedonia could hit other Balkan countries warns Serbian PM | euronews, world news
- 10International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 11International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 12Andrea Ferrari: the graphene guru | euronews, science
- 13Portuguese language reform law goes global | euronews, world news
- 14EU membership remains Serbia’s priority, says PM Aleksandar Vucic | euronews, the global conversation
- 15Spanish voters punish mainstream parties in local and regional elections
- 16Spain: the viral soldiers fighting in Madrid and Barcelona mayoral races | euronews, world news
- 17Watch: France’s Jean-Marie Le Pen clashes with UKIP MEP Woolfe | euronews, world news
- 18Recharging without cables: the road ahead for electric cars
- 19Chernobyl Children: what makes Ukrainians born in 1986 different? | euronews, world news
- 20We will not be moved! China’s urban spread resistance [PHOTOS]
Wires > News
- 01:12 CET U.N. council has first-ever briefing on rights in Myanmar
- 01:11 CET Lithuania minister urges pressure on Russia to stop arms at…
- 00:16 CET U.N. eyes keeping Israel off armed violations list – sources
- 00:08 CET Bombs outside two five-star Baghdad hotels kill at least 10
- 00:07 CET Rebels capture last Syrian town in Idlib province
- 00:02 CET German vice chancellor says Europe may need to move at different…
- 23:42 CET Exclusive – Mexican president misrepresented personal land deal…
- 23:03 CET North Korean nuclear, missile experts visit Iran – dissidents