10 people have been killed after Syrian government forces fired mortar bombs at a village in the northern Idlib province, according to the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights.
The same group reports that rebels have killed at least 12 soldiers during fierce fighting outside a military base in the eastern province of Deir al-Zor. At least one civilian has also died.
The renewed fighting comes after UN chief Ban Ki-moon once again called for the fragile ceasefire to be respected.
New video filmed by a British TV network shows the devastation in Homs, Syria’s third largest city, caused by months of pounding by pro-government forces in an attempt to quell a popular uprising.
Despite the presence of UN observers in the country, gun battles still break out. Large swathes of the city are in ruins. Remaining residents are at the mercy of government snipers.
The head of the UN observer mission to Syria Major General Robert Mood says a further 50 monitors are expected to arrive by the end of the week.
Two observers from the advance team have been deployed to Idlib province. Three other pairs have been sent to the cities of Hama, Homs and Daraa province, south of the capital Damascus.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1‘Allahu Akbar’ lone wolf attacker shot dead by French police
- 2Who is the EU’s worst at spending Brussels’ billions?
- 3ISIL fighters ‘flee’ Iraq’s Sinjar as Peshmerga troops ‘make gains’
- 4New laws to ‘wipe out’ militants after Pakistan school massacre
- 5New Romanian President Klaus Iohannis vows to tackle corruption
- 1Rosetta team is euronews’ people of 2014
- 2Pakistanis protest against Taliban as army intensifies offensive in north-west
- 3‘Allahu Akbar’ lone wolf attacker shot dead by French police
- 4Australia: two hostages and gunman dead after police storm Sydney siege café
- 5ISIL fighters ‘flee’ Iraq’s Sinjar as Peshmerga troops ‘make gains’
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Watch: Passengers ‘push-start’ frozen plane in Siberia | euronews, world news
- 3Le Pen: I admire ‘cool head’ Putin’s resistance to West’s new Cold War | euronews, interview
- 4McCain blasts Europe’s approach to Ukraine conflict ‘a joke’ | euronews, the global conversation
- 5Which countries in Europe cause the most air pollution damage? | euronews, world news
- 6Moldova pro-EU parties take narrow lead in elections | euronews, world news
- 7Grenoble: Europe’s first ad-free city | euronews, world news
- 8NATO joins search for ‘Russian submarine’ off Scottish coast | euronews, world news
- 9European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 10Ukraine reports accident at Zaporizhzhya nuclear power plant | euronews, world news
- 11Crude awakening: Romania’s Black Sea oil and gas finds fuel Europe’s energy hopes | euronews, reporter
- 12The American Century comes to an end as China becomes the world’s largest economy | euronews, economy
- 13International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 14Belgium’s former queen Fabiola dies at 86 | euronews, world news
- 15Germans demand honour for Turkish woman beaten to death | euronews, world news
- 16Chechen ‘death’ unit fighting with rebels in eastern Ukraine | euronews, world news
- 17Portugal: Ex-PM José Socrates held in corruption probe | euronews, world news
- 18Pakistan Taliban ‘kill over 100’ in Peshawar school attack | euronews, world news
- 19Israeli warplanes hit targets in Syria | euronews, world news
- 20Raids across Turkey target media outlets linked to Erdogan foe Fethullah Gulen | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 19:06 CET Libya fighting spreads to third oil port, 11 killed in Benghazi
- 18:32 CET U.S. sees Cuban thaw boosting odds of returned fugitives
- 18:17 CET Al Jazeera suspends Egypt channel as Doha, Cairo mull closer ties
- 17:35 CET Cameroon army says dismantles Boko Haram training camp
- 17:26 CET Italy says breaks up neo-fascist group suspected of planning…
- 17:11 CET From Baltic to Asia, East-West aerial confrontations heat up
- 17:00 CET Police officers’ slaying raises pressure on New York mayor
- 15:55 CET Turkey’s Erdogan says birth control ‘treason’ against Turkish…