10 people have been killed after Syrian government forces fired mortar bombs at a village in the northern Idlib province, according to the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights.
The same group reports that rebels have killed at least 12 soldiers during fierce fighting outside a military base in the eastern province of Deir al-Zor. At least one civilian has also died.
The renewed fighting comes after UN chief Ban Ki-moon once again called for the fragile ceasefire to be respected.
New video filmed by a British TV network shows the devastation in Homs, Syria’s third largest city, caused by months of pounding by pro-government forces in an attempt to quell a popular uprising.
Despite the presence of UN observers in the country, gun battles still break out. Large swathes of the city are in ruins. Remaining residents are at the mercy of government snipers.
The head of the UN observer mission to Syria Major General Robert Mood says a further 50 monitors are expected to arrive by the end of the week.
Two observers from the advance team have been deployed to Idlib province. Three other pairs have been sent to the cities of Hama, Homs and Daraa province, south of the capital Damascus.
- 1Lavrov hits Turkey with more penalties, doubts commitment to war on “secret allies” ISIL
- 2Belgian police release new details about on-the-run fifth Paris suspect
- 3Turkey detains journalists who allege army lorries carried weapons for ISIL
- 4Still no power in Crimea as protesters block repairs to pylons
- 5Russian marine Alexander Pozynich buried
- 1Turkey dismisses Russia’s economic threats over downing of fighter jet
- 2Putin and Hollande agree on greater cooperation over Syrian air strikes
- 3Lavrov hits Turkey with more penalties, doubts commitment to war on “secret allies” ISIL
- 4Russia hits Turkey with economic sanctions, warns more could follow
- 5Italian police seize hundreds of rifles bound for Belgium
- 1Fate of pilots of downed Russian jet unclear
- 2Russia confirms Turks have shot down one of its planes on Syrian border
- 3Hasna Aitboulahcen did not detonate a suicide vest during the St. Denis shoot out
- 4Paris attacker Abdelhamid Abaaoud ‘returned to scene of shootings’
- 5Five questions on Russia’s air strikes in Syria
- 1Coordinated terror attacks leave dozens dead in Paris
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 31000-year-old Bible found in Turkey
- 4Bomb and several shootings in central Paris – reports of fatalities and injuries
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Police hunting Paris attacks mastermind battle with suspects in heart of Paris
- 7latest sci-tech news : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 8world Weather | euronews: world ten day weather forecast
- 9European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 10New temporary spiritual leader of Muslim Brotherhood appointed
- 11Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 12Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 13International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 14‘Anonymous’ hackers’ group declares ‘war’ on ISIL
- 15Latest sport news
- 16‘Maxed-out:’ Jordan’s King Abdullah II’s frank warning over Syria crisis
- 17Middle East - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 18Romanians’ cold revolt against corruption
- 19Egypt armed forces chief Abdul Fattah al-Sisi – a man of destiny
- 20No Comment | euronews: international news images without commentary
Latest world news
Mali: at least 3 dead, 4 seriously injured in attack on UN base in Kidal
Police name Planned Parenthood shooting suspect
Mali: at least 3 dead in attack on UN peacekeepers base in Kidal
Pope Francis praises Ugandan authorities for taking in refugees
Climate change campaigners pile pressure on world leaders ahead of Paris conference
Wires > News
- 11:54 CET Insight: Gaffer tape and 500 euros – running guns to the heart of…
- 11:46 CET Detained journalists urge EU not to compromise with Turkey over…
- 11:31 CET Top Kurdish lawyer killed in clashes in southeast Turkey
- 11:27 CET Turkish foreign ministry advises against all non-urgent travel to…
- 11:23 CET Philippines shopping for arms to beef up maritime security
- 11:21 CET In search for Egypt’s lost Queen Nefertiti, focus turns to King…
- 11:17 CET Macedonian army starts building fence on Greek border
- 11:11 CET Europe needs U.S.-style bureau to tackle guns: experts