Dutch far-right politician Geert Wilders is in the spotlight after his party PVV refused to endorse deep austerity measures in the Netherlands, causing the government to collapse on Monday.
Elections are now a strong possibility, as early as June after Wilders pulled his support as an agreement was close.
Analysts said Wilders, who helped form the last coalition government in 2010, may be betting on similar gains to those seen by the National Front in France’s first round presidential elections last weekend.
Prime Minister Mark Rutter’s resignation jolted financial markets worried by potential turmoil in one of the eurozone’s most stable and prosperous countries.
The Netherlands has been particularly vocal in demanding other EU countries bring down their budget deficits. Next year, its own is set to rise to 4.7 percent of GDP.
The Dutch government needs to cut 16 billion euros.
- 1Failed breach attempt by migrants in Calais
- 2Scuffles at British side of Channel Tunnel in Kent over Calais migrants
- 3Funeral of Whitney Houston’s daughter overshadowed by family feud
- 4Suspected MH370 flaperon arrives for identification at BEA, Toulouse
- 5Turkey: two soldiers killed in suicide attack blamed on PKK
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 8French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 9Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 10International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 11Latest News Bulletin
- 12BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 13Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 14‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 15At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 16Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 17Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 18Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 19Varoufakis resigns after Greek referendum
- 20The Pluto flyby : what we’ve learnt so far
Wires > News
- 23:09 CET Ethiopia hands lengthy prison terms to Muslim activists
- 23:05 CET In North Korean grassroots capitalism, ticks and grasshoppers skip
- 22:54 CET Libya investigates video of guards beating jailed Gaddafi son
- 21:50 CET Catalonia leader calls election framed as vote on independence
- 21:49 CET Burundian activist shot amid violence tied to contested…
- 21:35 CET Obama issues challenge on climate change with power plant rule
- 21:19 CET Special Report – U.S. State Department watered down human…
- 21:08 CET Italy arrests 11 in search for Sicilian mafia boss of bosses