Sudan’s oil minister says the chances of a settlement in a territorial dispute with its new neighbour to the south are “remote” after each side accused the other of fresh attacks along their shared border at the weekend.
Ishaq Adam Gamaa said Khartoum would demand compensation after South Sudan seized the Heglig oil producing region last week. South Sudanese troops then began retreating from the area after international pressure.
Following two decades of civil war, South Sudan split from Khartoum last year as part of a peace settlement. There’s been no final resolution in disputes over borders and sharing of their oil wealth.
On Sunday, South Sudan claimed Sudanese troops attacked settlements and carried out air raids several kilometres inside its border. Sudan says a separate “major” attack was carried out within its territory by rebels controlled by the south.
Over the weekend, US President Barack Obama urged both sides to restart stalled negotiations.
Get a different perspective
Every story can be told in many ways: see the perspectives from Euronews journalists in our other language teams.