Despite running a successful campaign, far left candidate Jean-Luc Melenchon only managed to poll 11% of the vote, finishing fourth.
The man backed by the Communist Party called on his supporters to put an end to the Sarkozy era and support Socialist Party candidate Francois Hollande.
“Our people appear really determined to turn the page after the Sarkozy years. The total number of votes on the right as a whole is down compared to in 2007. We will be the new political force, the only one to have broken through and be born in this election. We hold the key to the result, I call on you consciously to assume this responsibility.
And I repeat very clearly, right now, there is nothing to negotiate. I call on you to meet again on 6th May, without demanding anything in exchange, on 6th May to beat Sarkozy. I ask you to mobilise yourselves as if it was a case of making me president.”
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Ukraine: US, Russia and EU strike deal after crisis talks
- 2South Korea: Dramatic amateur footage emerges of final moments before striken ferry capsizes
- 3Spain’s former prime minister, Adolfo Suarez dies, aged 81
- 4As it happened : Kyiv and Moscow reach agreement on de-escalation roadmap
- 5A mother’s slap signals mercy for a convicted Iranian murderer
- 1Pictures and videos of April 15 lunar “Blood Moon” eclipse
- 2Ukraine as it happened: Pro-Russian freeze Ukrainian army operation in Kramatorsk
- 3Watch April 15 total lunar eclipse live online
- 4Ukrainian troops allegedly desert to join pro-Russian forces in Slavyansk
- 5Russian PM Dmitry Medvedev says Ukraine on ‘brink of civil war’
Wires > News
- 01:41 CET Armed mob under guise of peaceful protest attacks U.N. in South…
- 01:34 CET Algeria’s Bouteflika camp claims election win, rival alleges fraud
- 01:26 CET Students add Easter twist to dwindling Venezuela protests
- 01:23 CET U.N. inquiry chief wants North Korea hauled before international…
- 01:14 CET Tokyo area hit by magnitude 4.7 earthquake
- 00:34 CET French troops free five aid workers kidnapped in Mali
- 00:23 CET U.S. special forces struggle with record suicides – admiral
- 00:11 CET Gunmen kidnap Tunisian diplomat in Libya