Now Reading:

Bloodshed in Bahrain as F1 preparations go ahead

world news

Bloodshed in Bahrain as F1 preparations go ahead


Bahraini authorities say they have opened an investigation following the discovery of a man’s body after Saturday’s anti-government protests descended into violence.

The opposition party Wefaq says the 37-year-old was one of a group beaten up by officers as demonstrators clashed with police in Manama late in the night.

Violence in the Gulf Arab state has escalated in the run-up to Sunday’s Grand Prix. The Formula 1 race was cancelled last year because of political turmoil in Bahrain. The opposition says nothing has changed since then so the race should not be back on the calendar.

A massive security operation is now in place to try to prevent the “days of rage” protests from affecting the event.

Every story can be told in many ways: see the perspectives from Euronews journalists in our other language teams.

Next Article