Another lawsuit related to illegal rendition has been filed against a British official by the head of the military wing of Libya’s transitional council in Tripoli, Abdel Hakim Belhadj.
The latest legal action is being taken against the Commissioner of the British Indian Ocean Territory of Diego Garcia, with Belhadj claiming the island was part of the route used to transport him from Thailand, back into the hands of former Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi in 2004.
Belhadj is also suing a former head of British counter-terrorism organisation MI6, the UK government and former Foreign Secretary Jack Straw.
Straw, who served in the Labour government under then-Prime Minister Tony Blair, has been accused of approving Belhadj’s rendition.
Straw said he was unable to comment because of an ongoing police investigation.
- 1Failed breach attempt by migrants in Calais
- 2Scuffles at British side of Channel Tunnel in Kent over Calais migrants
- 3Funeral of Whitney Houston’s daughter overshadowed by family feud
- 4Suspected MH370 flaperon arrives for identification at BEA, Toulouse
- 5Turkey: two soldiers killed in suicide attack blamed on PKK
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 8Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 9International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 10French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 11BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 12Latest News Bulletin
- 13Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 14Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 15At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 16Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 17‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 18Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 19Varoufakis resigns after Greek referendum
- 20European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
Wires > News
- 21:01 CET Sweden expels Russian diplomat, Moscow makes tit-for-tat move
- 20:47 CET Russia says U.S. strikes on Syrian army would harm fight against…
- 20:43 CET Obama says no challenge greater threat to U.S. future than climate…
- 19:26 CET Immigrants in Germany swell to record high 11 million
- 19:11 CET U.N. chief says Obama power plan key ahead of climate change talks
- 18:59 CET Brazil police arrest Lula minister in bribery scandal
- 18:36 CET U.S., allies stage 29 air strikes against Islamic State – statement
- 18:31 CET Libya probing guards seen in video beating jailed Gaddafi son