Another lawsuit related to illegal rendition has been filed against a British official by the head of the military wing of Libya’s transitional council in Tripoli, Abdel Hakim Belhadj.
The latest legal action is being taken against the Commissioner of the British Indian Ocean Territory of Diego Garcia, with Belhadj claiming the island was part of the route used to transport him from Thailand, back into the hands of former Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi in 2004.
Belhadj is also suing a former head of British counter-terrorism organisation MI6, the UK government and former Foreign Secretary Jack Straw.
Straw, who served in the Labour government under then-Prime Minister Tony Blair, has been accused of approving Belhadj’s rendition.
Straw said he was unable to comment because of an ongoing police investigation.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Afghanistan: Fifty dead after suicide attack during volleyball match
- 2Turkish President sparks row by saying women are not equal to men
- 3Deadly floods in southern Morocco
- 4Femen lay bare their naked opposition to papal visit
- 5Violence erupts after policeman avoids charges over black teenager’s death
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Sweden becomes first EU country to recognise the Palestinian State | euronews, world news
- 3Italy swamped by flash floods | euronews, world news
- 4Back to School for Romania’s new First Lady | euronews, world news
- 5What will you ask US Senator John McCain? | euronews, world news
- 6Turkish president Erdogan unveils his new palace of a thousand rooms | euronews, world news
- 7India PM Modi appoints Yoga minister | euronews, world news
- 8Vladimir Putin most powerful man in the world – Forbes | euronews, world news
- 9[Live] Rosetta’s Philae lands on comet 67P and enters the history books | euronews, world news
- 10European e-revolution people rise up | euronews, world news
- 11International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 12Where is the best place in Europe for women? | euronews, world news
- 13Irony as organised crime prosecutor arrested for corruption in Romania | euronews, world news
- 14Obama’s ‘risky’ immigration gamble | euronews, world news
- 15Nadia Comaneci: gymnast of perfection and defector | euronews, the global conversation
- 16Putin plans to leave G20 talks early amid Ukraine pressure | euronews, world news
- 17Transcript of hanged Iranian woman’s final message released | euronews, world news
- 18Syria: Islamic extremists pledge to press ahead with battle for Kobani | euronews, world news
- 19Edgars Rinkevics: “I am gay. Good luck all of you.” | euronews, world news
- 20Anti-immigration protests in Rome | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 00:03 CET U.N. committee spotlights ‘highly intrusive’ digital spying
- 23:45 CET Flournoy withdraws from consideration as U.S. defence secretary -…
- 23:23 CET More troops deployed in Ferguson to guard against fresh riots
- 23:13 CET Spain asks Cuba to grant free travel to dissidents
- 22:57 CET 25 percent of Poles believe local elections were rigged – poll
- 22:53 CET Libyan PM says government responsible for bombing Tripoli airport
- 22:38 CET Two Minneapolis men charged with conspiring to support Islamic…
- 22:06 CET Two Malian soldiers killed in landmine explosion