Another lawsuit related to illegal rendition has been filed against a British official by the head of the military wing of Libya’s transitional council in Tripoli, Abdel Hakim Belhadj.
The latest legal action is being taken against the Commissioner of the British Indian Ocean Territory of Diego Garcia, with Belhadj claiming the island was part of the route used to transport him from Thailand, back into the hands of former Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi in 2004.
Belhadj is also suing a former head of British counter-terrorism organisation MI6, the UK government and former Foreign Secretary Jack Straw.
Straw, who served in the Labour government under then-Prime Minister Tony Blair, has been accused of approving Belhadj’s rendition.
Straw said he was unable to comment because of an ongoing police investigation.
- 1‘Tourists go home’ say Spanish locals in backlash to holiday boom
- 2EgyptAir crash: doomed plane’s distress signal ‘picked up by satellites’
- 3Fears grow for missing Japanese boy left in woods as punishment
- 4Belgium facing more strike chaos
- 5More transport chaos in France in standoff over labour reforms
Latest world news
Delays and cancellations as French unions begin indefinite transport strike
Ex-Miss Turkey gets suspended sentence for insulting president
WHO advises two months of safe sex for Zika prevention
Police to investigate Cincinnati Zoo gorilla shooting
The world’s longest train tunnel inaugurated
Wires > News
- 07:11 CET North Korea’s missile and nuclear projects unacceptable, Japan…
- 07:08 CET Falluja children face extreme violence, UNICEF says
- 07:08 CET Japan PM to postpone sales tax rise, snap election off table for…
- 07:02 CET Trepidation lingers as Canada wildfire evacuees begin to return
- 06:25 CET Exclusive: U.S.-backed Syria forces launch offensive for Manbij…
- 06:20 CET China says first stealth fighter not yet in service, but coming…
- 05:40 CET In-law of Mexico striker Pulido nabbed for alleged role in his…
- 05:27 CET As Beijing flexes muscles in South China Sea, Malaysia eyes harder…