Now Reading:

Official: Haqqani network behind deadly Afghanistan attacks

world news

Official: Haqqani network behind deadly Afghanistan attacks


An Afghan government official has confirmed that Sunday’s deadly assault on the capital Kabul was carried out by the Haqqani network, a group with ties to Al Qaeda.

Thirty-six insurgents were killed along with eleven police officers and four civilians an 18 hour
battle gripped the city. The Afghan parliament and NATO’s headquarters also came under attack.

Sunday’s infiltration by militants is a major embarrassment for NATO who’s secretary-general Anders Fogh Rasmussen praised the Afghan military just last week.

“I have now witnessed with my own eyes, that your special forces are among the very best in the world. And that gives me confidence and it could give the Afghan people confidence,” said Rasmussen at press conference in Kabul on Thursday.

Afghan President Hamid Karzai blamed an intelligence “failure” by its domestic security department and NATO.

Gunfights continued in Logar province on Monday. The local police chief says four militants were killed. Security forced seized a cache of weapons including rocket propelled grenades, AK-47s and hand grenades.

The Haqqani network, with an estimated 10,000 fighters, is considered one of the greatest threats to NATO in Afghanistan.

The deadly assault comes ahead of a summit in the US next month as NATO troops prepare to leave the country by the end of 2014.

Next Article

world news