Survivors and relatives of those who died at the hands of Anders Behring Breivik gathered outside the court in Oslo on Monday morning.
The trial of the Norwegian killer, which is expected to last 10 weeks, is sure to bring back terrible memories for the families of the 77 people who died and those who were lucky to escape, but many feel they should attend, like Utoeya survivor Vegard Groslie Wennesland: “I am a bit concerned. I haven’t seen him before. I haven’t been to the court meetings before, but I am sure it will be okay. But it’s tough. The last time I saw him in person, I saw him shoot and kill my friends. So it’s tough, but it’s also important to get through it.”
There are others who also feel they should attend the trial, even though they will have to face the man who tried to kill them.
“I think it’s very important that the world sees this and sees it for what it is. It’s a tragedy that is founded on political views that are very common in the rest of the world as well and we have to fight extremist actions like this,” said another Utoeya survivor Bjoern Ihler.
Norwegian newspapers are echoing the sentiments of many survivors and families of the victims of Breivik. Headlines include ‘I look forward to him being punished’ and ‘reckoning’.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 2Mali: no survivors found in wreckage of Algerian flight
- 3‘Eastern Ukrainians ‘hate Russian-led guerrillas’ — Yatsenyuk
- 4Sudanese mother sentenced to death in Sudan meets the Pope in Rome
- 5Air Algerie plane missing with 116 people on board
- 1Air Algerie plane ‘crashes’ over Sahara
- 2#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 3TransAsia Airways plane crashes on landing in Taiwan, killing dozens
- 4Ukraine suspects one of its jets was shot down by another aircraft
- 5Israelis unite around troops fighting in Gaza
- 1[LIVE UPDATE] Malaysia Airlines MH17: Dutch forensic team arrives at crash site
- 2Air Algerie plane ‘crashes’ over Sahara
- 3#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 4298 killed as Malaysia Airlines passenger jet shot down over Ukraine
- 547 dead and 11 injured in TransAsia Airways crash landing
Wires > News
- 08:50 CET Crunch time for Gaza truce talks as death toll passes 800
- 08:46 CET Australia to ship Tamil asylum seekers to its mainland
- 07:49 CET Rise of Islamic State tests Syrian army strategy
- 07:40 CET Indonesia’s constitutional court ready to take on election result…
- 06:36 CET Over half of China military airfields threatened by high-rises
- 06:00 CET Australia to ship Tamil asylum seekers to its mainland -…
- 05:59 CET Impossible to determine cause of South Korea ferry businessman’s…
- 04:43 CET Venezuela protests arrest of ex-intelligence head wanted in U.S.