As Spain’s King Juan Carlos is in hospital recovering from a hip replacement, there is growing anger about his trip to Botswana at a time when the country is facing severe economic problems.
The visit would have remained a secret if he had not hurt himself and needed to be flown back to Madrid for urgent treatment.
However, the criticism from Spain’s politicians is less scathing than the press.
“The king, like everybody else, has the right to have a private life, but it’s true that at this specific moment (referring to the economic crisis), there is some things that the Spanish people don’t understand, and this is one of those things,” said the President of the Basque regional Government Patxi López.
Though he was not hurt while hunting elephant, King Juan Carlos took a similar trip to Botswana in 2006.
Spain’s royal family was again in the spotlight after the King’s 13-year-old grandson Felipe Juan Froilan accidentally shot himself in the foot last week.
As the country’s Economy Minister Luis de Guindos said Spain is probably in its second recession in three years, and with spending cuts and tax increases of 27 billion euros on the cards, a corruption scandal surrounding the King’s son-in-law, Iñaki Urdangarín, has further tarnished the image of the royal household.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1‘Allahu Akbar’ lone wolf attacker shot dead by French police
- 2Who is the EU’s worst at spending Brussels’ billions?
- 3ISIL fighters ‘flee’ Iraq’s Sinjar as Peshmerga troops ‘make gains’
- 4New laws to ‘wipe out’ militants after Pakistan school massacre
- 5New Romanian President Klaus Iohannis vows to tackle corruption
- 1Rosetta team is euronews’ people of 2014
- 2Pakistanis protest against Taliban as army intensifies offensive in north-west
- 3‘Allahu Akbar’ lone wolf attacker shot dead by French police
- 4Australia: two hostages and gunman dead after police storm Sydney siege café
- 5ISIL fighters ‘flee’ Iraq’s Sinjar as Peshmerga troops ‘make gains’
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Le Pen: I admire ‘cool head’ Putin’s resistance to West’s new Cold War | euronews, interview
- 3Watch: Passengers ‘push-start’ frozen plane in Siberia | euronews, world news
- 4Which countries in Europe cause the most air pollution damage? | euronews, world news
- 5McCain blasts Europe’s approach to Ukraine conflict ‘a joke’ | euronews, the global conversation
- 6Moldova pro-EU parties take narrow lead in elections | euronews, world news
- 7NATO joins search for ‘Russian submarine’ off Scottish coast | euronews, world news
- 8Ukraine reports accident at Zaporizhzhya nuclear power plant | euronews, world news
- 9Grenoble: Europe’s first ad-free city | euronews, world news
- 10Crude awakening: Romania’s Black Sea oil and gas finds fuel Europe’s energy hopes | euronews, reporter
- 11European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 12The American Century comes to an end as China becomes the world’s largest economy | euronews, economy
- 13Israeli warplanes hit targets in Syria | euronews, world news
- 14Germans demand honour for Turkish woman beaten to death | euronews, world news
- 15Chechen ‘death’ unit fighting with rebels in eastern Ukraine | euronews, world news
- 16International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 17Belgium’s former queen Fabiola dies at 86 | euronews, world news
- 18Portugal: Ex-PM José Socrates held in corruption probe | euronews, world news
- 19Catalonia announces new ‘independence plan’ | euronews, world news
- 20Pakistan Taliban ‘kill over 100’ in Peshawar school attack | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 11:49 CET China says officials should learn minority languages
- 11:25 CET China to ‘regulate’ foreign NGOs with new law
- 11:12 CET Spain’s Princess Cristina to stand trial on tax fraud charges
- 10:36 CET South Korea nuclear plant operator says hacked, raising alarm
- 10:32 CET Germany to step up bird flu testing after new cases discovered
- 10:09 CET China charges Jackie Chan’s son over drug offence
- 08:48 CET Court orders partner of Sydney hostage-taker jailed
- 08:07 CET Man stages new protest on ledge of St. Peter’s in Vatican