16/04/12 19:49 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Argentina confirmed on Monday it would seize the country’s biggest oil company YPF which is currently controlled by Spanish energy giant Repsol.
Officials said the government would send a bill to Congress and take a 51 percent stake in what been described as “the public interest”.
The decision by President Cristina Fernandez looks
likely to force a head-on confrontation with Spain. Madrid has warned the move would turn Argentina into “an international pariah”.
Buenos Aires has been pushing YPF to raise production to reduce the burden of fuel imports on the Argentinian economy.
A plan by Repsol, which has a near 60 percent stake in YPF, to boost investment in the company was rejected as inadequate.
YPF generates about 25 percent of Repsol’s operating profits.
Shares in YPF on Wall Street dropped nearly 20 percent after the announcement.
- 1Incredible scenes in the Turkish parliament
- 2Denmark extends controls on German border, EU set to allow more Schengen exceptions
- 3Three Earth-like planets found outside the Solar System
- 4Palestinians condemn Eurovision Song Contest for flag ban
- 5Madeleine Albright on evil, Putin, Trump, Syria and diplomatic kisses
Latest world news
TTIP: French president Hollande says France will say no to EU-US trade deal “at this stage”
Rebels launch surprise attack on Aleppo – Syrian state TV
Spain arrests four men allegedly behind on-line Islamist Radicalisation plot
Probe indicates falsified documents in Flamanville nuclear plant construction
Turkey to abolish visas for Greek Cypriots
Wires > News
- 14:05 CET New security at Brussels Airport causes delays, missed flights
- 14:02 CET U.S. targets Islamic State in Mosul, other cities in Iraq, Syria
- 13:59 CET Turkey to abolish visas for EU states including Cyprus under…
- 13:51 CET Islamic State forces kill U.S. armed forces member in Iraq
- 13:29 CET Baby pulled out alive three days after collapse of Kenya building
- 13:18 CET Fists fly as Sri Lankan MPs protest changing of the guard for…
- 13:17 CET Rebel shelling kills at least 19 in Aleppo – Observatory
- 13:07 CET Hungary plans to hold migrant quota referendum in September or…